Insetting electric socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Please can you help I have this oddly placed electrical socket. Ideally I'd like it moved but I'm thinking of turning the electric off, disconnecting and chiselling the wall out deeper so it sits flush against the wall rather than sticking out. I will need to remove the skirting board and chase out a space for the wire as well and I think I'm confident enough to do this but can any one think why this wasn't done in the first place? I don't want to start it then come up against a load of problems! Any help much appreciated. Many thanks

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    100.5 KB · Views: 191
Sponsored Links
can any one think why this wasn't done in the first place?
Its just been put in there. Its a lot easier to use a surface box rather than chisel out the wall.
So just laziness, or maybe the previous householder didn't want to be bothered with chiselling, filling repainting/wallpaper, etc.

Its an easy enough DIY job. Just make sure the POWER IS OFF before you start.

EDIT, you will need a proper metal backbox (don't use the old plastic one!)
AP625.JPG

I'd be inclined to find out the details of the circuit. Which breaker is powering it? Is it a radial or a spur? etc

You never know - there might be something else to correct at the same time.

Sponsored Links
You'll need to get a rubber grommet to for the cable entry point, run an earth to the back box and socket.

Is the cable leaving the bottom feeding it or feeding another socket?

It also crossed my mind once you alter it and I would assume also hide the feed cable then you will need to comply with current regulations not those in force at the time the job was first done. So it should be RCD protected. Personally I would swap for a plastic socket in keeping with the surface plastic back box, but as to letting in that would likely involve a lot of work and be little better than it is now.

So likely it will require some steel conduit from the back box to under the floor to protect the cable, then a single back box with a RCD FCU and then the cable can be buried without protection if within safe zones to the new socket flush with wall. That seems a lot of work for nothing.

OK it may all ready be RCD protected, if may already be supplied from a FCU. But until inspected and tested you will not know.

Thanks for the replies yes it's an old chimney breast. I'm having 2nd tonight's about doing this now sounds a bit harder than I thought! Do you think it would be easier to move it and place it on the wall in same way but out of sight?

It looks like a typical DIY installation job - the faceplate and back box combination just looks so awful, with that clash of finishes.:D:D:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back