Inside windows freezing up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an 8 year old Toyota Corolla which runs great but in really cold weather I get a layer of ice on the inside of the windows,especially the rear screen, when it's been parked up overnight. Does anybody have a cure for this? Any help will be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
try leaving your windows open slightly then any damp air can escape

I had this in my Toyota after having a dent fixed in a rear door. on examination, I found there is a polythene sheet taped to the inside shell of the door, which causes any water getting in round the window seals to to drip down to the base of the door and run out through the drain holes. In my case the sheet had not been taped back properly and the water was draining to the inside of the car. The carpet by this door was very wet.

Worth a try.

In your case check inside the boot and under the spare wheel for wet, since you say it is mostly the back window.

It is very important to use the heater fan on "fresh air" mode not "recirculate" otherwise it keeps the moist air inside the car.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for the replies. I'll check for any dampness tomorrow, although I've never noticed any but perhaps I've not looked hard enough.

I've had it with brand new Vauxhalls, in the coldest weather I put a fan heater in on a time switch. Guarantees a frost free and warm car in the morning

Many thanks for the replies. I'll check for any dampness tomorrow, although I've never noticed any but perhaps I've not looked hard enough.
the simple fact is the moisture laden air inside the car freezes on the coldest surface [inside off the windsceen]
as said remove excess moisture by drying out or ventilation

I've actually picked up a couple of dehumidifiers from the £1 store that I'll put in the car when it starts freezing up - I know the aircon is supposed to dry the air out, but I've got climate control in my Golf and when its cold it wont run the aircon and I can't override it.

unfortunately your [i assume ]silica gel /crystals will not remove a lot off moisture and will need to be dried out in the oven probably on a daily basis ;)

Sponsored Links
Back