Insinkerator not grinding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just moved in to find insinkerator has power (makes humming noise) but not grinding at all. Anything I can do?
As always, grateful for any advice/ suggestions offered.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi, just moved in to find insinkerator has power (makes humming noise) but not grinding at all. Anything I can do?
As always, grateful for any advice/ suggestions offered.
Thanks.

Ensure the power is definitely off/isolated to the unit, then check to make sure nothing it jammed inside.

There is an allen ket slot on the bottom of the unit, check that it is turning when turned on.
Fit an allen key into the fittings and turn a couple of times then try the power/air button again.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Thanks for suggestions. Will try them all tomorrow - too tired tonight! Will let you know how i get on.

After checking for a jam see if you can see a capacitor attached to the motor or inside the terminal box.
If there is one, chances are it will have failed and need replacing. You need to get one with the same uf value, won't matter if the voltage figure is higher.
Photo's of the unit could be of assistance.

Have finally got around to looking at this. It is, I think more than jammed. Following careful instructions re checking power is isolated etc I have discovered that the ’blades’ inside aren’t moving at all as they appear totally rusted.

Is there any hope of recovery for this unit or will it simply need replacing?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back