Inspection Chamber in Garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Our extension is now complete but the building inspector is saying that a manhole needs to be dug in the garden and an inspection chamber fitted.

Our contractor says this does not need to be done and Yorkshire Water have already come out (and paid the high fee) and given me permission regarding the sewer drainage (they didn't mention anything about IC)

Where do I stand on this as I feel building control are nit picking (plus it's something we have not calculated in the costs so can't really afford it)

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You will need to demonstrate to building control that you can clear any blockage from any existing IC's, if not how do you expect to be able to clear a blockage should one ever occur?

The original gutter was moved (due to the extension) by a foot but BC are suggesting this has been a direction change which we kinda disagree.

I've spoken to Yorkshire Water and they are saying BC are being a bit pedantic about the issue as they have given us the all clear and happy with what we have done with the drainage/gully.

Can the IC be enforced upon us even if we don't agree with it.

I hope I'm not being naive with this but it's just that we didn't this was needed and not included in the costs.

Thanks

The original gutter was moved (due to the extension) by a foot but BC are suggesting this has been a direction change which we kinda disagree.
I'm not quite sure I follow but it either changed the direction or it didn't? what was the answer to my original question though? The purpose of getting approval can sometimes mean putting right what already exists. Therefore if no IC exists there at the mo they can insist there should be one unless you can justify why it is not required. A little contingency fund is nearly always required when undertaking an extension of some kind and should be allowed for. I don't really see what Yorkshire water board have to do with it?

Sponsored Links
I see your point - there was no IC before.

If one was not there before; what difference would it make by having one?

What does an IC do anyhow? Can drainage still be blocked with a IC?

An IC stands for Inspection Chamber ie a point in the system from which to inspect and if necessary rod a blocked drain from. My point is (whether you or any of the other forumites like it or not :( ) is that sometimes building control will insist that if works are being done to a drain system IC's are installed to bring it up to a good standard. So my point remains, if the drain can be adequately inspected/rodded from some other point in the drain run you can argue that you do not need an additional one.

Thanks - I appreciate your advice

So final questions; If I refuse to install the IC; what can building control do?

I assume only the completion certificate won't be given?

I said 'only' as I thought they can't make me demolish the extension without a completion certificate :confused:

Hmmm :confused:

The inspector has been on-site and signed off the work in all the stages; so everything apart from the IC is fine.

I've got no plans to sell the house so I'm not really bothered about the completion certificate if I'm honest - I know the work has been done exactly how BR has asked/advised so I'm comfortable on that front.

I'm just not comfortable with digging a massive manhole in my nice drive which I cannot afford.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back