access to inspection chamber

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm thinking of extending to the side of our house, but there is an inspection chamber in the back garden. Can I do this without moving the inspection chamber or do I need to leave access for machinery?

Sponsored Links
In some situations, people have these internally and have them properly sealed, etc.. to keep the smells below the floor, but still maintaining access. In the majority of situations, the inspection chamber/manhole is re-located if the proposed building is due to sit over it.

Consider the consequences of trying to rod a blocked sewer if the access is via a flooded inspection chamber inside your house.....

If it is practical to do so and you have no other option, then building over a manhole is ok.

I would consider this the final option though. As stated, if the chamber can be relocated or done away with then do so.

Also consider what flooring will be ultimately fitted to the room containing the i.c.

Sponsored Links
Think maybe I wasn't clear. We're not proposing to build over it. We would be building down the side passage which would block access by a vehicle although it would remain accessible on foot! I'm thinking if people can put them inside a house then it isn't necessarily a problem?

So are you just asking whether or not vehicular access has to be provided to an inspection chamber? If so, then no... it does not.

And to your latter statement, manholes/inspection chambers can be located under a floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back