Inspection Cover / Man Hole - Tiled Over

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Just after some advice really.

In my conservatory the tiled floor has an area that has a strange pattern (see photo). Upon investigation (Google etc) I now know that this is the inspection cover to the foul drain or sewer. So looks like the conservatory was built over the drain some time in the past and this tile arrangement added to indicate the location of the drain.

The drain connects to all the other houses on the street 20+ properties (I have looked on the plans from when the house was built in the 1970's) and I'm about midway on the route. My concern now is that if there are any issues in the drain there is no access from my property except via the neighbour's inspection covers. I'm guessing that if need be and access was required the cover could be broken open at the points shown in the grouting. Although I don't know what is underneath - I'm hoping it is a double sealed manhole cover, I don't want to try an

So what would be best - just leave it as it is. Or should I get a builder in to make it more accessible if the time came and it was needed.

Any advice appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
Picture shown here:-

Attachments

• 20211229_085444.jpg
    20211229_085444.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 185
you have access from either neighbour if you need it with rods or jetting or cameras. and worst case scenario you’ll need to smash it up one day . If it does not smell i’d leave it alone.

Sponsored Links
That looks like a sealed cover to me?
They have gaskets and are designed for the same need as you have.

Hi everyone, thanks for your replies. I think it would be best just to leave and like you say if I needed to access it for any reason I can get to it by some means, either smashing or via neighbours. There are no smells from it either and all the sinks etc run freely.

Some genius has filled the screw holes with grout.
When/if you need to open it just gently remove the perimeter grout and where the lift tabs are.
It should come right up.
Probably worth laying down old sheets before you do

Last edited:
If you are friendly with your neighbours just speak to them and see if they have anything similar. If they do then, (heaven forbid), if a problem develops you may have no alternative but to find a way of removing your own cover.

What you have appears to be a recessed manhole cover.
To remove the cover to gain access to the manhole itself you need to use a knife to cut & rake out all the frame perimeter grout & the grout in the six little squares.
You might then reveal lifting points for use with lifting irons/keys - or brass screw heads that screw down the cover to the cover frame.

Simple answer. Don't worry about it unless there's an issue. Shared sewer would be the Water Co's responsibility anyway, and to be honest, unless it actually blocks solid in that chamber, or the lateral going to your property blocks, then the cover wouldn't need lifting anyway.

In the rare event it ever did need lifting, suitable keys are available, although given the weight of those things, (and the time it's been there undisturbed), I would want to use lifting gear such as that Andy (Herts P&D) has linked to above, if you value your back!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back