Inspection/Manhole cover in lean to...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all,
I'm looking to take down a lean to at the back of my house and put up a proper extension, but the first thing i need to do is figure out what this 'hatch' that's there is!
Opening it has been a nightmare so far - a screw in each corner and the head on one was stripped so ended up having to drill it out, and then i figured i need to use some of those manhole cover keys to lift it, but they don't seem to fit into the holes....
has anyone come across one of these covers before - any idea how to lift the damned thing?!
thanks!

[/img]

Sponsored Links
Its as you said a man hole cover.
I didnt want one in my extension, I just tiled over it, my think was with todays technology & camera can be inserted & flexi hose to sort any problem.
So why do you need to open it.?

It is a manhole cover. DONT bury or cover it, its there for a reason! Might find the 'J' shape keys http://www.wickes.co.uk/red-plastic-wallplugs/invt/240041/ (link is for the keys not wallplugs!) will fit. If not then levering between cover and frame but this could well damage the frame and/or surrounding floor tiles.

Should really be screwed back down, should worst happen it could lift and spew effluent into the room! This type of cover is required should chamber be located inside the building.

It is a manhole cover. DONT bury or cover it, its there for a reason! Might find the 'J' shape keys http://www.wickes.co.uk/red-plastic-wallplugs/invt/240041/ (link is for the keys not wallplugs!) will fit. If not then levering between cover and frame but this could well damage the frame and/or surrounding floor tiles.

Should really be screwed back down, should worst happen it could lift and spew effluent into the room! This type of cover is required should chamber be located inside the building.

ha ha, they're the exact keys i bought from Wickes this morning, but not sure if it's that they're the wrong shape or the cover is too wedged in...

@diyisfun - need to lift it because thames water told me they needed to know what type of sewer was under there before they could advise on whether they'll give permission for a new extension, they weren't very helpful tbh

Sponsored Links
If it won't come up with the keys then you will have to go around the edge with a hammer and bolster, opening up the gap between the frame and cover. It will come up, it will just take time.

As said above Never go over a manhole!

Andy

As said above Never go over a manhole!

Andy

Why not?, If you know where it is. They look bloody horrible, I would rather dig the floor up if need be than have one of those.
Thats why I took photos, measured & covered.
So 7 years Ive not seen it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back