Install a childrens slide on a garden slope

Me too, I’m a foster carer, currently with 3 under 5’s.

Good man. That's the sort of age I like them. Full of questions and always keep you on the go. Also most seem to have no fear of danger. LOL

Sponsored Links
Hi Guys,

Your help is really appreciated.

I will be seeking help for the actual set up!

As a matter of interest, what sort of drill would I need to drill the holes through the sleeper and wwould they be drilled at exact measurement of the peg diameter ?

Not sure Conny what you mean by runners ?

Katie

The runners are the 2 lengths of timber running down the slope to support the slide.

I used a normal twist drill the same diameter as the curtain pole but you can get special drills such as a Forstner drill bit that gives clean cuts on bigger holes.

I'm.thinking about packing soil under the slide to support it or not - if the slide is at the right angle and height then I think the sleeper should hold the weight ?

I found something about steel screws to drill through the sleeper, would this be as effective as wooden pegs ?

Sponsored Links
To be honest I've no idea.

I found this online :

To fixing railway sleepers landscaping screws can be used which are strong steel screws available up to 250mm in length with a hexagonal head and fixed using a power drill. These will screw right through a sleeper and fix into the one below. They need an extremely high force before they pull out so they make a really strong joint.

Thanks for your help and advice so far.

They are used when you are stacking sleepers and need to secure them to each other.
To anchor into soil you need something that is substantial and goes deep into the ground. Using wooden pegs, as I have suggested, is a good way of doing it and quite a common method. A lot of car parks in country areas use this method to put stop blocks down to prevent cars driving/reversing into surrounding bushes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back