Install A Pir Security Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi... wonder if anyone could help.... i already have a security light at one end of my garden which is great...however it doesn't light up the other end of the garden enough..... therefore i wish to install another one... my question is ... is it possible to install it with the cable running along the outside wall instead of by drilling a hole through the wall???

If so what would be the best 3 core cable to use???

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
When you say "outside wall", do you mean the wall of the house, or a garden wall? Bit confused, as you say you want a light at the other end of the garden....

ban-all-sheds said:
When you say "outside wall", do you mean the wall of the house, or a garden wall? Bit confused, as you say you want a light at the other end of the garden....

Sorry for the confusion.... yes i mean the wall of the house....

Assuming you run it at light-height, i.e. where it won't get damaged by goats or crashing cars etc, HiTuf would be your best bet. Or install some conduit.

Sponsored Links
ban-all-sheds said:
Assuming you run it at light-height, i.e. where it won't get damaged by goats or crashing cars etc, HiTuf would be your best bet. Or install some conduit.

Thanx for the help...very much appreciated.....for the record, my pet goat escaped so no problems there!!!!

The wiring will be installed at light height...

Any other tips????

Forgot to ask..... the wiring problem sorted out ..... great.... however.... sitting comfortably???... hope the following makes sense...

I have a spur from a power socket to a switched fused connection .... which was used for a now defunct appliance........however... this is a plug socket.......therefore i am wondering if i would be able to use this for the new security light ........perhaps extending the cables with connector blocks and drilling through the wall to the outside then putting a blank socket plate on the switch front???? Also, when i get the cable you suggested will it correspond with the wire colours in the socket??

Hope this makes sense

Thanx again for your help.

If you are going to use that spur for a light then you must keep the FCU.

And try hard to replace cables with longer ones rather than joining with connector blocks.

And no - the colours will not correspond - the hituf will have harmonised colours (brown/blue/y-g) whereas your house wiring, unless very new, will be red & black.

ban-all-sheds said:
If you are going to use that spur for a light then you must keep the FCU.

And try hard to replace cables with longer ones rather than joining with connector blocks.

And no - the colours will not correspond - the hituf will have harmonised colours (brown/blue/y-g) whereas your house wiring, unless very new, will be red & black.

For my own sanity could you clarify this for me to see if i have it correct.... (i did do a little sketch for you to see but couldnt attach it)

The Plug socket that i want to use for the new light which is connected to the fused connection box is okay to use????

So, once i drill through from the outside and feed the cable through, how do i connect the wires to the socket???

One final question...... the red and black wires that i have..... which wires go with which from the hituf cable...

Again thanx for your help.....you are a star

Hope i haven't confused you too much

Thanx again[/img][/b]

Nico said:
For my own sanity could you clarify this for me to see if i have it correct.... (i did do a little sketch for you to see but couldnt attach it)
You need either your own website, or to post it to one of the many free image hosting sites. AFAIK, http://imagehost.darkernet.co.uk is as good as any other for what you need right now.

The Plug socket that i want to use for the new light which is connected to the fused connection box is okay to use????
I think we are going to need that drawing.
Earlier on you said:
I have a spur from a power socket to a switched fused connection
Now it sounds like you are saying that the FCU supplies this socket - i.e. the other way round.

So, once i drill through from the outside and feed the cable through, how do i connect the wires to the socket???
You don't, you connect the wires to the load terminals on the back of the FCU. If the FCU is currently supplying a socket, remove the socket and the wiring to it.

One final question...... the red and black wires that i have..... which wires go with which from the hituf cable...
Red is live, black is neutral. I'm starting to think that you need to find out more about the basics of house wiring before doing anything...

Sorry if i sounded confused...i was actually confusing myself when i read back what i wrote to you...

So...The plug socket that leads from the fused connection unit can be removed and i can replace the existing wiring from the fcu with longer cable to fit through the drilled hole in the wall which leads to where i am installing the sensor light.

Thanx to you i have now managed to attach the sketch.... not my best artistic work but hopefully it makes sense.

1129928325_sketch.JPG

Are the other accessories - the 2 FCUs and the double socket - on the ring, or is it all one big spur? Probably doesn't matter, but it would be nice to have a full understanding.

But basically yes, you should do it how you've shown. The only proviso is that if the cable from the FCU is going to be buried in the wall, it must go straight up from the FCU, not in a dogleg as you show.

See http://www.niceic.org.uk/downloads/concealedcables.pdf & http://www.niceic.org.uk/downloads/C5-43.pdf .

ban-all-sheds said:
Are the other accessories - the 2 FCUs and the double socket - on the ring, or is it all one big spur? Probably doesn't matter, but it would be nice to have a full understanding.

But basically yes, you should do it how you've shown. The only proviso is that if the cable from the FCU is going to be buried in the wall, it must go straight up from the FCU, not in a dogleg as you show.

See http://www.niceic.org.uk/downloads/concealedcables.pdf & http://www.niceic.org.uk/downloads/C5-43.pdf .

The two fcu's is one big spur...

The wiring wont be buried in the wall but surfaced mounted in mini trunking.... would this be ok??

Thanx very much for your help.... you have been very patient and extremely helpful..

Many thanx

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back