Install Inspection Chamber Risers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When Ben Bailey threw up/(built) our house 10 years ago they managed to install two of the largest, ugliest inspection chambers in our garden.

Looking at the photos below, I wondered if it would be possible to install some plastic chamber risers of the same diameter as the chamber base, obviously with the correct access cover, and then back fill the remainder of the original chamber after removing the top concrete ring so that we can plant around it (with non invasive root system plants).

The diameter of the base is 500mm, which I am having difficulty finding risers for on the web.

Sorry if these images are too big.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I doubt that your proposal is readily feasible.
Perhaps, what started out as a manhole ended up as an inspection opening.

Your drainage appears to be dry - how come?

There are lots of signs of rats using the concrete shelf.

I dont see why you couldnt do as you propose, i'm unsure as to why plastic risers weren't used in the first place. Looks like a standard 450mm dia chamber, but ideally need to find out the manufacturer to source the correct risers to suit. If incorrect risers are used then the chamber may not be watertight and fall foul of regs. :(

I doubt that your proposal is readily feasible.
Perhaps, what started out as a manhole ended up as an inspection opening.

Your drainage appears to be dry - how come?

There are lots of signs of rats using the concrete shelf.

It just looks dry because soil fell down when i lifted the concrete slab. The top of the manhole is not even covered correctly, it has a proper access cover to the left and then to the right is half a concrete slab so soil can get down the gap when it's moved.

What signs are there that we have rats? (The small blobs in the photo that look like droppings were actually beetles or similar.

Sponsored Links
I dont see why you couldnt do as you propose, i'm unsure as to why plastic risers weren't used in the first place. Looks like a standard 450mm dia chamber, but ideally need to find out the manufacturer to source the correct risers to suit. If incorrect risers are used then the chamber may not be watertight and fall foul of regs. :(

The diameter of the edges of the circular chamber is definitely 500mm. Is that where the measurement is taken ie. is 450mm dia chamber measured to the outside edge?

To be honest i've never had reason to measure, but they are usually specced at 450mm. I've always just got what is needed at the time so risers have been obtained along with base and lid. Without determining the manufacturer though it would be difficult the get the correct risers and sealing rings to suit that particular manufacturers bases. All I can suggest is see whats available and try for fit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back