Install light switch homeless earth cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

I know very little about electrics, but I am capable of following instructions or at least taking note of how something looked before I fiddled about with it.

I've just had cause to replace a pull switch in our loo downstairs. It's a two way switch, just like the one I replaced it with. I connected the two brown cables to the COM and L1 terminals. I also connected the earth cable to the L2 terminal, just as it was in the switch which preceded it. There does not seem to be an earth terminal on the switch (it's all plastic).

It doesn't feel logical to connect the earth wire as it is right now, but then it also doesn't feel sensible to have it floating around inside the switch.

Would welcome any advice you'd have....particularly if I've wired up something dangerous.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I've just had cause to replace a pull switch in our loo downstairs. It's a two way switch, just like the one I replaced it with. I connected the two brown cables to the COM and L1 terminals. I also connected the earth cable to the L2 terminal, just as it was in the switch which preceded it. There does not seem to be an earth terminal on the switch (it's all plastic).
Remove it immediately.

It doesn't feel logical to connect the earth wire as it is right now, but then it also doesn't feel sensible to have it floating around inside the switch.
If the switch is plastic then sleeve the bare earth with green and yellow and terminate it in a connector block and position safely.
Metal switches will have a terminal to which the earth MUST be connected.

When you say "a two way switch" do you mean there are two switches that control the one lamp ?

If that is the case then the person who installed the cables has commited the serious error of using the CPC ( earth wire ) as a strapper ( Live ) between the two switches. He or she should have use 3 core and earth cable.

If the switch is plastic then sleeve the bare earth with green and yellow and terminate it in a connector block and position safely.
Even though we've been told that the switch is plastic, if the back box is metal, the earth wire (assuming that's what it is - see bernard's comment) should be connected to the box, not just left 'floating' in a connector block, shouldn't it?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
You're talking to a complete newbie here, when you mean connector block you're referring to one of those little opaque plastic chaps with the multiple terminals in, yes? So what I am doing is simply tucking the bare wire safely away from the others?

Strangely the one I replaced in the bathroom about 2 months ago DID have an earth terminal to which the earth cable was safely attached.

In the absence of getting hold of one of these blocks is evening, what would be the safest course of action?

Thanks for your help!

FYI both the switch to which I am referring and the one in the bathroom I replaced a while back are all plastic

I also connected the earth cable to the L2 terminal, just as it was in the switch which preceded it.
When you say 'earth cable', are you referring to a bare wire, one one with some coloured insulation on it?

Kind Regards, John

You're talking to a complete newbie here, when you mean connector block you're referring to one of those little opaque plastic chaps with the multiple terminals in, yes? So what I am doing is simply tucking the bare wire safely away from the others?
Yes.

Strangely the one I replaced in the bathroom about 2 months ago DID have an earth terminal to which the earth cable was safely attached.
Some do, some don't.

In the absence of getting hold of one of these blocks is evening, what would be the safest course of action?
Just fold it over so that it is shorter than the g/y sleeving, put on the sleeving and fold again so that it cant come off.

Do not cut it.

Ummm, so does that change your advice...? Really pretty clueless here and want to make sure I don't torch my nearest and dearest :D

It's sleeved in green and yellow - that IS the earth, right??
It ought to be, yes - do I take it that's loose sleeving over a bare wire? If it really is an earth, then you may well have been lucky - since had you connected the browns the other way around, there would probably have been a big bang.

However, as has been suggested, it could be that you have a 'naughty' and dangerous situation in your wiring - if that 'earth wire' was being used for live electricity, rather than as an earth. You may well need an electrician to sort it out - or at least ascertain what is going on.

Is there a second switch somewhere which also controls the same light?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back