Install new manhole?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following a previous post Linky... I have now decided that I either want to take out the existing manhole and move it or install a new one further along so the flow is in the correct direction.
Pic of existing manhole:

How should I attempt this? I assume that the pipe between this manhole and the next is ceramic, and somewhere near the existing manhole is an inlet from the gully next to the soil stack.
I may also be shifting the soil stack due to rearranging the bathroom, so the stack may well be 5' further along.

Sponsored Links
not going with the Volvo mudflap, then ;)

Sponsored Links
Firstly, I'd work out where you need the new chamber to be. Might be better to leave existing manhole in situ, and just make good the brickwork when you remove the offending pipe from the stack.

When you settled on a position for the new chamber, excavate to accomodate it, and carefully dig around the existing salt glazed pipe. It can be very brittle so dig with care. Angle grinder will be needed to cut the salt glazed, (and chamfer the ends prior to fitting any couplings).

A couple of suitable connectors, (Wickes do one or there's the 'Fernco' type) will get you from the salt glazed pipe to 110mm plastic. Assuming for ease of installation you are using a plastic chamber, the 450mm dia chambers ( http://www.screwfix.com/prods/74362/Plumbing/Underground-Drainage/5-Inlet-Inspection-Chamber-Base ) have 2 branch connections each side, simply blank off the ones you dont need. I'd be inclined to replace the gulley at the same time, you can easily link the gulley and new stack connection into the 2 branches on the chamber then. Bed pipes in some peagravel and check the fall is ok prior to backfilling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back