Install new skylight in extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We currently have some roofers covering up an old skylight and fitting a new one. Before the job started it was agreed they would do the roofing works and we would get someone else to "make good". They are finishing up the job today and have said once the skylight is in they will leave the 3 beams running across the skylight opening in place and whoever comes to make good needs to remove them and plasterboard it all up. I understand the plasterboarding up but surely they should be removing those beams?

Attachments

• 16299722_10157973640665315_7353878055941314249_o.jpg
    16299722_10157973640665315_7353878055941314249_o.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 165
Sponsored Links
WTF!!!!! I've seen it all now, did they ride in on a horse and cart? It's traditional to make the new structural opening before the rooflight is fitted!

How strange. I can see that in a bigger roof with actual attic space there might be a blurry definition in terms of when does 'roofing work' become 'ceiling structural' work, but in your situation if the agreement was that the only work left should be 'making good' then any reasonable person would agree that that doesn't include cutting three structural joists at ceiling level and fitting trimmers.

Sponsored Links
Is your agreement written down or was it verbal? Were the words 'make good' actually used, or could it have been more vague, such as "you just get the velux fitted to the roof and get it waterproof, I'll do everything else?" Are there other builders on site doing the inside, in which case it might be quite reasonable for a roofer to interpret the agreement in that way?

No builders yet but we are planning on doing some redecoration in a few weeks/months hence why we said we were happy to plasterboard it up and paint. I guess as luddites we had no idea the ceiling was treated differently to the roof!

here is the quote...

1. Take out the existing Velux window.
2. Felt and batten and tile in this area to match existing.
3. Strip out roof tiles as required.
4. Cut out area existing timber works, strengthen as
required using like for like timber and fixings.
5. Fit the new Velux window with the flashing kit.
6. Tile in using the existing tiles, replace any defective
tiles like for like matching as best as possible.
7. Take away all rubbish leaving the site clean and

lah,
I would have expected that:
"Cut out area existing timber works, strengthen as required using like for like timber and fixings"
includes the Ceiling.
Otherwise you have to get another builder in to strengthen (perhaps fit Trimmers, perhaps more) and only then cut the Joists.
I would be loathe to do this, but could you offer current buildders a little more money to do this?
SFK

Last edited:
Thanks SFK - I have given my carpenter/decorator a call and he has said it's something they can do for us so guess it's not ideal but its a solution!

lah,
Glad to hear it. And actually having a carpenter do it (rather than the original builders who might now do it in a rush) should mean that you get a cleaner better looking finish.
sfk

Depending on the existing roof structure though it may not be a simple as just trimming the new hole, how do you know some additional joists aren't required for example? There's more to this (structurally) than say adding a velux into a traditional pitched roof by adding a few trimmers.

It appears that they have done what they quoted for.

However, it does not look like they have doubled up the rafters to hold the rooflight (which is structural work), and I am not keen on the detail of the felt and rooflight frame junction - how can the felt be dressed up the frame to provide a seal?

Fred I think if the ceiling is strong enough to stand on then its not going
to be a problem trimming it out. Its a quirky design though maybe it started
its life as a flat roof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back