Install sequence texecom elite external sounder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there, I'm just replacing our old alarm with a new texecom elite 24 as I think that is the most suitable for our house. The old one alarm is dead and all elements removed, it was probably 10 years old, cheap bit of unbranded rubbish, just the existing 6 core wiring is staying, plus some new cable runs for the I want to diy as much as possible as im capable.

But! What sequence do things need to be installed? I don't do ladders so can I get someone to install the external sounder and wire it in, then connect it to the panel after everything else, or is the external sounder the last thing you wire up before powering everything on? Or is there other gotchas to be aware of?
Basically I want to have time to tinker with all the settings from keypads, without having to go up a ****** tall ladder and enable/disable the sounder with fiddle jumpers. Happy to go with a matching texecom sounder if it makes everything easier.

Sponsored Links
Here's what I would do. Set the panel up on a desk with a mains cable and it's main battery (just as it would be in situ) and leave all the jumpers in place for the detectors (so they are not used) Then take a short piece of 6 core and set up the bell box exactly as it should be when it's in situ. Make sure the colours you use are the same in your short cable as are used on the cable that's already in place. Make a note of what colour you are using in each terminal and write it down on a piece of paper. You'll be able to power it up and play with it.

If you wanted to out a magnetic reed switch on the EE terminal (could be whichever zone you've set for entry exit) that would also let you simulate doors opening and closing and creating an alarm condition.

Now when you send your man up the ladder to fit it you should have the panel ready to go in the house and your man (could be a lady up the ladder) is now ready to put the relevant colour wire into the terminals using the key you've made earlier.

Whenever I do this kind of stuff I will either wear ear defenders or disconnect the actual sounder wire.

Be careful with live mains!! It's no more or less dangerous than playing with it on the wall but you HAVE to take care and think safety first. If you are nervous about it. Then get a professional to do the install.

Hope that helps.

Thanks a lot, will do exactly that . I'm pretty good for a lady [mechanical] engineer!! But a man will be doing the ladder bit . Do you have to put the system in engineer mode on the panels when attaching the bell box, or is it a case of disarming and go?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back