installation guide

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
about to build a garden office and obviously want to include some some windows and a door but haven't a clue how to allow for this in my build.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good guide?

I want to know how to leave space and how to finish around them. I wondered if I just cap the cavity with timber all round to create a frame – is the normal practice? Then all I do is measure the aperture and pop the windows and door in the holes?

FYI, it will be timber frame, WPB, spacer batons then timber cladding. Inside it will be stud, celotex, plasterboard and a very dodgy skim from myself ;)

Thanks for any pointers.

Sponsored Links
Very handy, will answer many of my boring questions however both the people on that site buy a base shed and add to it. Mine with be quite a custom shape so I will need to find out more like allowing for windows...

Sponsored Links
You're using some mixed metaphors there and possibly causing yourself some problems in your way of thinking, in my opinion. So some basics to be getting on with. Timber frame buildings, like the one you are contemplating, do have cavities but these don't require capping as such. The frame forms shell and the internal structure, the cladding is simply fixed to this via strapping which effectively forms a cavity of sorts. TRADA have an exceptional library online,where you will get a great deal of the basics from and should you come back with questions I and others, I'm sure, will endeavour to answer them honestly and simply. Good luck...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back