Glazing and fitting advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Building a garden office and have now got to the glazing and wanted some advice from you guys...

I need/want to get the following:

Door (mainly clear glass with outer frame)
Size: 1063x1958mm (strange size I know)
Colour: grey

Window (three windows in one frame all windows equal size, opening bottom out)
Size: 2040x667mm

Window
Size: 712x672mm

Obviously would love aluminium but can't afford or justify the price. Seen some places online who will supply only (grey on white upvc) for around £900, is this the sort of price I should be looking to pay?

My next question is about installation. It's a timber frame building and I've created the apertures in 4x2 and included the required headers above the openings. I've checked the measurements and they're pretty equal give or take 2mm (literally) will these be straightforward to install? I've done quite a bit of DIY myself but don't want to underestimate the complexity of this...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I know it's pretty vague :confused:

Sponsored Links
Fitting into 100mm timber carcassing is standard practice, virtually all timber roof dormers are like this. Mechanically fixing is simple, just drill a 7mm hole through the frame rebate and fit a suitable length screw, using packers where needed.

The door however is a different prospect and will require toe 'n' heel packing and aligning.

The secret is in the measuring and getting as snug a fit as you dare without compromising fitting or binding any sashes etc.

I used to have supply only at one time but now get the firm to supply and fit. The onus of measuring, fitting and maintenance or snags is all placed on the window company.

Why is the door so wide?

Thanks for the advice... Sounds like the windows are pretty easy as the frames are square. Reason the door is so wide is my old man was round when I was doing the stud work and got into my head saying a decent front door was 3'6" so I should make it at least that wide in case I want to get a sofa through it. I have enough room to make it this wide but if it's an issue I can add two vertical 4x2 uprights to make it a little narrower.

TBH, would be happy to pay a firm to supply and fit the lot but the first place I called wanted around £800 just for the door and looking online I can get everything to a high spec for £900 inc vat & delivery.

Another option is to get the stuff supplied, fit the windows myself then pay someone to do the door as I assume the main glazing panel in the door will need removing to toe and heel?

Anyone near Reading Berks fancy a coupla hours work??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back