1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Installation manual for an old (45 years old) gas fire.

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by eternaloptimist1, 1 Jun 2017.

1. eternaloptimist1

eternaloptimist1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I need the installation manual for an old Parkinson Cowan Windsor Gas fire. Please can anyone help? I tried to look for the GC number of the fire, but cant see it anywhere. IMG_1756.JPG

2. Sponsored Links
  3. FiremanT

FiremanT

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    you may find the badge if you lift the front trim up and off, after removing the dress guard.

Why do you need MI's? Are you a RGI?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  4. eternaloptimist1

eternaloptimist1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thank you for your reply. My installer needs the installation manual so he can replace my old fire with a secondhand one I bought.
    I removed the trim as suggested. No GC number or anything there. Is it perhaps at the side, behind the removable panel?

5. ianmcd

ianmcd

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    long time since I seen one of them , used to be loads around here, are you serious ? you are going to fit a second hand one of these ?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. eternaloptimist1

eternaloptimist1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for your reply.
    Yes. It is a nice fire. Mine was fitted 42 years ago. It started to leak gas when set to low so I got one used one from ebay thinking any fitter would do the swap, but two have told me they need the installation manual. I have looked at many websites that sell PDF manuals but cant find anyone who has this one.

7. ianmcd

ianmcd

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    you must have the most suited user name on this site

• Like Like x 5
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  8. eternaloptimist1

eternaloptimist1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yes. It is a nice fire. Mine was fitted 42 years ago. It started to leak gas when set to low so I got one used one from ebay thinking any fitter would do the swap, but two have told me they need the installation manual. I have looked at many websites that sell PDF manuals but cant find anyone who has this one.
    Yes. You are right. Long time ago the Gas Board were required by law to make available spares (I would think Instruction manuals would be included in this), for 30 years or so after ending production of an appliance. Pity nothing like that applies any longer.

9. ianmcd

ianmcd

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Parkinson cowan and Tricity bendix and Electrolux are all the same company , give them a call you never know

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Sponsored Links
  11. eternaloptimist1

eternaloptimist1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks.

12. footprints

footprints

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Don't waste your money, the last Windsor fire was produced in 1987, the rule British gas imposed on makers was that they had to produce functional spare parts for 10 years after production ceased.
    It is obsolete and then some! It is quite possible that even if it works some part will fail soon there is also the possibility of a split heat exchanger or fire box if it was poorly fitted before.
    To be honest if I was still working on the tools I would not even consider fixing a second hand appliance of that vintage, far too many things could go wrong.
    Please don't think I am putting you down, just advising you to steer clear of what may be a whole heap of trouble. ;)

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Like Like x 2
  13. eternaloptimist1

eternaloptimist1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks. I certainly will think about this. I thought I was gonna have an easy time simply having it swapped out.

14. gas112

gas112

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Anyone needing instructions to fit one of these is taking the pish .they don't come any simpler , 1975 seems wee bit early for one of these. I would have said 1980 onwards

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. eternaloptimist1

eternaloptimist1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks. It was 1972 when Southern Gas as it used to be, first installed it. It was Towns gas then, and subsequently was converted to Natural gas. When first installed, it gave no end of trouble and Southern Gas had to attend several times to fully resolve the issue. I think they had to put in a new gas control thingy. Since then, it has worked without any trouble except for the spark ignition. I light it with a match!

16. FiremanT

FiremanT

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    My brother had one before I started with the Gas Board in '76 and I bought one with discount in 1980. Probably off the German.

But as you say, "needing the MI's to comply with Regs" is a bit strong for this. The inlet connection is a bot of a pig IIRC

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  17. gas112

gas112

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Didnt think they were that old remember fitting them as a boy ;)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
Sponsored Links