Installation of bathroom suite from scratch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to strip out the bathroom to bare walls floors and start from scratch.

When I have replaced the broken floor boards and re-plastered the walls, should I tile the walls and floor BEFORE installing the bath regardless of the expense

Cheers

Sponsored Links
semorgan said:
should I tile the walls and floor BEFORE installing the bath
No, as far as the wall tiles are concerned, quite the opposite seems to be the consensus, Check out this thread.

Floor tiles may be a different story, They should certainly be laid before the toilet pan, and would probably be easier to lay before the bath goes in. Obviously you don't need to cover the entire area under the bath, but if you cover the outermost edge (by about 4 inches) it will save you having to cut them in later.

make sure u check for leaks before u tile the floor and walls (if u are buring any pipes..ie shower over bath etc).

Have you started the work yet?

Are you going to keep the floorboards under the tiles or get rid of them? Either way you would be wise to install a layer of marine ply (12mm) screwed down very firmly to the joists. This will ensure that you retain maximum rigidity in order that your tiles do not 'lift' in the future.

Good luck! ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys for info

LPlate, i'm starting on Tuesday so will take up your tip

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back