Installation Of Electric Towel Rail In Bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If this subject has been covered recently please forgive me, I have just joined.
I was wondering how to install an electric towl rail. I know that it needs to be isolated via a double pole switch, will it be a similar job to an electric shower i.e. mount a dp pull cord on the ceiling being run from the consumer unit on it's own circuit? Or is there a more obvious solution?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx in advance

G man

Sponsored Links
Well, they really don't draw that much power: certainly no more than 1A (unless there is some massive industrial type!). So, no separate circuit required.

If it is to be mounted in Zone 3, you can install an FCU on the ring (or on a spur from the ring), mounted in Zone 3 on the bathroom wall, and use this to isolate as well as connect up the flex for the rail.

Of course, there are still issues with this: if that wall is tiled you are likely to get condensation dripping down onto the FCU. Not good. :confused:

Ideally, you would just have a flex outlet in the bathroom for the rail to be connected into. With isolation provided either by a ceiling-mounted DP switch (connected into the ring via a FCU, you MUST have a fuse between the ring and the towel rail), or by an FCU mounted OUTSIDE the bathroom.

Thanx 4 that Adam that does help me a lot

regards

G man :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back