Installation of new consumer unit - electrics to BS7671?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently decided to collect some quotes to update my knackered old fuse board to a split load RCD consumer unit. Prices are coming back fairly satifactorily, but I've been told on multiple quotes that in order to install the unit, it must be ascertained that the existing wiring complies with BS7671 prior to installation.
Can anyone give me an idea of what this entails? The wiring in the property was done circa the mid eighties, prior to my purchase, and, although I've never had a single problem, does look decidedly DIY.
I really don't want this to escalate into a full rewire!

Sponsored Links
Prior to changing the consumer unit, any reputable electrician will test each and every circuit to ensure that the circuit(s) meet the requirements of BS7671. There's no point installing a new unit onto a faulty system.

The electrician has to certify that the whole installation (that's the existing wiring and the new CU) meets BS7671 17th edition.

It may be that there are faults, or that one or two things need upgrading to meet today's standards. Somerequirements have changed in the last 30 years.

Its basically saying that there may be stuff that needs upgrading (extra cost) but we won't know what that is until we do the test and inspection.
Donald Rumsfeld known unknowns.

And I'm assuming that such an electrician would charge to perform such a test and inspection - what kind of figure should I expect to see for that?

Sponsored Links
Example of one of the quotes...

Dear xxx,

To supply and install a domestic consumer unit as requested, the total cost would be £280 + VAT.
In order to install the unit, it must be ascertained that the existing wiring complies with BS7671 prior to installation.
Regards

Would you assume that the test/inspection is in with the price? What if the test 'fails', and then I don't go ahead with the work?

And I'm assuming that such an electrician would charge to perform such a test and inspection - what kind of figure should I expect to see for that?
Doesn't that form part of the quotes you've been given?

Kind Regards, John
It depends - when I do a quote for a new consumer unit I split the EICR and the CU installation into two parts - separate price for both.
EICR - around £70 - depending on the number of circuits and the size of the property - around 3 hours labour.
The price of the CU is normally parts plus 2 hours labour - since most of the dead testing has already been done and recorded.
Of course if the EICR finds significant faults then a new quote would be required - this fact should be included in the quote.

It depends - when I do a quote for a new consumer unit I split the EICR and the CU installation into two parts - separate price for both.
Sure, that's what I'd expect - but, particularly since they are (reasonably) saying that the latter is conditional on the former having been done (plus maybe some consequential remedial work), it would be a bit cock-eyed to give a quote for the CU installation without at the same time quoting for the (pre-requisite) EICR.

Kind Regards, John

saying that the latter is conditional on the former having been done (plus maybe some consequential remedial work), it would be a bit cock-eyed to give a quote for the CU installation without at the same time quoting for the (pre-requisite) EICR.
Bit like the quote given by the OP which doesn't seem to split the two up - consequently it would be interesting if there was remedial work needed and as the OP says he doesn't want it done - how much guv?
One other thing I always do when visiting to work out a quote is to do a quick visual on the exposed wiring, the incoming earth and the bonding and test the loop impedance on a few sockets.

Bit like the quote given by the OP which doesn't seem to split the two up - consequently it would be interesting if there was remedial work needed and as the OP says he doesn't want it done - how much guv?
Sure - I'd personally tell them to take that quote away and come back with one which provided more detail/breakdown. It's a bit like being given a quote (without breakdown) for 'painting X windows' which contained a statement "In order to paint the windows, preparatory work would first have to be done", without it being clear as to whether the single-figure quote included the preparation or not!
One other thing I always do when visiting to work out a quote is to do a quick visual on the exposed wiring, the incoming earth and the bonding and test the loop impedance on a few sockets.
That makes good sense. If that brief exercise reveals the need for 'remedial' work, do you include that [presumably as separate item(s)] on the quote you provide?

If the initial 'quick look' and/or EICR reveals significant problems, but the customer is not prepared to have them remedied, do you refuse to change the CU?

Kind Regards, John

That makes good sense. If that brief exercise reveals the need for 'remedial' work, do you include that [presumably as separate item(s)] on the quote you provide?
No because the extent of the full remedial work is still unknown - I would however draw it to the attention of the customer.

If the initial 'quick look' and/or EICR reveals significant problems, but the customer is not prepared to have them remedied, do you refuse to change the CU?
Yes.
I also wouldn't work of another's EICR unless I incorporate the appropriate caveats into the New Consumer Unit contract.

Answer came back that an EICR would be a further £75+VAT, taking it to £355+VAT.

Don't forget that if the EICR finds any problems these may have to be sorted before the new CU can be installed, at extra cost.

It's clearly not acceptable to renew a consumer unit if the existing installation is not in a satisfactory condition when carrying out the EICR. So an assessment of the installation should be carried out first.

With regards to compliance with BS7671, this is not mandatory providing the installation is in a safe condition.

The only time a consumer unit should be replaced serving an installation that is not in a satisfactory condition is when there has been damaged caused internally due to overheating etc. at this point any circuits that are deemed unsafe should be isolated and the customer should be strongly advised to agree for remedial work to be carried out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back