Installing a new consumer Unit

Throw myself into this one........

FWL, I have had the supply authority install isolators between the board and the meter, and I thought this was the norm.....

As for working live within a domestic premises, it is not advised. Commercial / Industrial premises can be a different story as I have worked live myself but risk assesments were carried out and all safety measures satisfied.

The above should never carried out by a DIYer, experienced or not.....

Sponsored Links
I have lost count of how many Consumer Units I have helped friends replace (at a DIY level). Although I HAVE done it live before, I wouldn't suggest ANYONE attempt it without fully understanding the risks involved and have a full set of insulated tools.

Most common practice now is to ring the supplier, tell them that the seal is missing from the main fuse, and they generally arrange to come out in the next few days. Then cut the seal and remove the main fuse. Carry out the work, and the supplier will be round a day or two later to check you haven't bypassed the meter before simply refitting a seal.

In some cases the fuse is housed in a metal connection box, and the seal is just a paper sticker, if you are carful this can be removed and replace with a bit of pritstick. The lead clamped wire seals are a little more tricky, and it not really worth messing about when they can come out and replace them for you.

Like with all electrical work, if you are unsure, don't START. Once you have the fuse out, meter tails dangling, and the only consumer unit in pieces (cos it wouldn't unscrew) it's too late to try logging on to the site and find out what to do next - and too many people take chances without knowing the risks.

</Ranting> :)

FWL_Engineer said:
Ban, several time on this forum I have seen you mention the installation of an isolator being fitted by the Electricity Supplier BETWEEN the meter and the Consumer unit?

I am curious as to which company undertakes this action, as none within 100 miles of London do it that I am aware of, and for very good reason, they have no legal right to do so, so the only option would be to charge the consumer for this fitment.

East Midlands Electricity will do exactly that, for free. They even have a free-phone number (0800 096 3080). Incidentally, they cover Northamptonshire, most (if not all) of which is within 100 miles of the smoke. ;)

Thanks for the Info on the isolators Fella's.

I have heard this before and when I have mentioned it to 24/7, whoi cover my area of ops, well 85% of it anyway, all I get is a sharp intake of breath, head shaking and a scowl!!

I think I will start to ask more vigourously when we do rewires to arrange this...makes the whole thing a LOT safer.

BR, I have and sometime still do when I get the time to get my hands dirty, work on Live Kit. I respect it, and treat it accordingly, however to change a domestic consumer unit with live tails in your hand is blatantly absurd and extremely dangerous.

The chances are you will blow the main fuse, have a severe shock and likely be prosecuted when you have to call out the supply company to replace your main fuse.

The risks FAR outway the benefits.

By the way for whoever actually asked for the PSC of a an incomer.

In London, if you have a TN-S, TN-C or TN-C-S supply from what was the former LEB ring, then the PSC for a 100A head is in the region of 16kA.

And yes it is likely to be fatal if you make the dead short connection across your body as it would fry your organs, boil your blood and generally do a lot of nasty damage.

Sponsored Links
Changing CU's without switching off?

MAD B*****DS!!!

IF you have the training, IF you have ALL the equipment, (rubber mat, rubber boots, gloves, goggles, fully insulated tools etc) then you can consider working live, but if not, forget it.

And even then you have to manipulate the tails to get them in and out of the boxes, without touching each other or anything else!!

FWL

If you want to see a 100A DP switch inbetween the meter and CU come to Manchester. There are 1000's of properties with such a switch. Some of these are ex council, but many more have them.

securespark said:
Changing CU's without switching off?

And even then you have to manipulate the tails to get them in and out of the boxes, without touching each other or anything else!!

If I have to do it live, I tend to cut the striped end of the tails of using insulated cutters, and then wrap tape over the tail until I am ready to make it off and re fit it. I still treat the cable as live thou, and try to make sure it doesn't as much brush against anything, even plastic! You can't be too careful.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back