Installed ring main - no part p

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I moved into a new house 14 months ago. In a wave of excitement and preparation for a new arrival (my son) I set to several DIY jobs. One of these was relocating sockets in the bedrooms. In doing so I replaced all the cable and added new sockets.

Reading through this forums, I now realise that I have should have approached my LABC and notified them of my intent to work, arranged inspections and had it tested, etc.

I am a bit worried about contacting the LABC now in fear that they may ask me to remove my install of fine me.

Anyone got any experience or advice for me?

I am not concerned about the quality of my install. I have wired before and checked with a spark about my plans. Did some end-to-end testing of the ring with a multimeter before energising too. Issue is the wires cannot now be inspected as they are either buried under plaster in the wall or under floorboards, in one room there is now a laminate floor.

Any advice appreciated...

Sponsored Links
After reading your post I doubt if you require building reg approval. You didn't install a new circuit and the works weren't in a special location or a Kitchen.

If that really is the case, that is a relief to hear.

I was concerned as most of the cable was replaced (apart from the feeds from the CU to the first and last sockets) and there are now more sockets than there were before.

You are allowed to put in additional sockets; and you are allowed to replace damaged sections of cables. I expect the bits of cable you replaced had got damaged when you were taking off the old sockets ;)

You have to notify an additional circuit; or work involving the CU; or work in kitchens and bathrooms.

there is more detail in the Electrics UK and its Wiki.

Sponsored Links
In most locations you can replace cables like for like and you can extend an existing circuit to feed more sockets/lights etc.

If you read the Wiki all will become clear.

Thanks guys for the replies.

The ring I worked on was feeding the upstairs bedrooms and landing, with two spurs feeding the lounge. My next project is to install a new ring for the lounge / dining room and hall and get rid of the spurs from the upstairs ring. A later project will be another new ring for the kitchen. It was while I was reading up on these future project I read about part p and panicked.

Sounds like I am in the clear so far, soon I will be off to the LABC to notify about my new rings....

One question: Do I have to notify twice (and pay twice) as I am installing two circuits? They will NOT be installed at the same time and could be a year apart by the time I start the kitchen.

I would have thought you could do additional sockets and replace cables on the ground floor without needing to notify. Only when you start the Kitchen and additional circuit do you need to notify.

I think in your position I would wait until then before making the downstairs into a new ring* and doing the kitchen work, and fitting a nice big new CU with RCBOs ;) all in one application.

You can also upgrade your main and supplementary bonding now, no need to notify.

* I get the impression that you only have one ring for the whole house? You can split this when the time comes for a new CU. It will be easier if your CU is under the stairs or somewhere you can do surface wiring, and you have some sockets in the legs in the cupboard close to the CU.

JohnD should have said:
You should also upgrade your main and supplementary bonding now, no need to notify

(edit:)
also:
my LBC said i can add many electrical projects spread out over time to one certificate/ payment. as each individual one was done the testing etc would be done, then the certificate would be issued on completion of the last one. if i sold before i got round to all the projects i could ammend the proposal and get a certificate for what had been done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back