Installing 2 * 2 gang sockets in place of a single socket

Yes but remember that you will only be able to draw 20Amps from the sockets - fine if you only have lights and TVs etc but no good if you have heavy loads like kitchen appliances and electric fires.

He said theres only three sockets on the circuit supplying 3 bedrooms.
My kitchen appliances stay in the kitchen ;)

Sponsored Links
I had a fridge, microwave and coffee maker in my old room...
mom has a fridge freezer and an upright freezer in the spare bedroom..
I currently have the fridge freezer, kettle, microwave, toaster and smoothie maker in the spare room at my flat while the kitchen is being re-done ( 2 1/2 years and counting.. :rolleyes: )

I got the floor boards lifted. Basically in the centre of the upstairs hallway their is a giant DIY junction box that i assume the previous owner made himself.

Their are 3 wires that go from the consumer unit to this box - 1 for the 3 sockets in the bedroom, 1 for the total of 12 sockets downstairs, and 1 for the downstairs lights.

Wires then spider out from this box to all the sockets and lights.

Their is another box in the attic for the upstairs lights.

Why it was installed in this way is something i just cant understand. And why did he have to use 1 box for 3 circuits. The box has a serious of holes round the sides some of which a partly filled with wires but others that were empty. These holes are easily big enough for a finger! When the top was removed from the box it was full of dust and fluff - a fire just waiting to happen.

To think i was just considering changing the sockets to doubles and putting another double spurring from each - all i can say is that its lucky i found this page and got some great advise that led me to investigate below the boards.

Big thanks to ever one.

Insistently im getting it sorted by a pro - an expense i can ill afford, but its money well spent. The kitchen will just have to wait :(

it might not be DIY..
there was a building company a while back that used something similar to what you are describing..
one of the regulars will no doubt have a picture somewhere..

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back