installing 6 spots in my bedroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
im wondering if any one can help me , after just a simple diagram or info on how to wire up 6 spot lights in my box room , i just want them to connect up to the old light that has been disconnected,

i have 1.5 wiring and the spots ready to go , thanks for any help on this matter and hope to hear from someone soon :D

Sponsored Links
I just went into Wiki and looked and I would say if you can't understand that then you should give up.
If there are some aspect of what is in Wiki you can't understand then OK ask about bit your not sure of.
You will likely not connect to switch but will connect at a ceiling rose for extra lights.

I just went into Wiki and looked and I would say if you can't understand that then you should give up.
If there are some aspect of what is in Wiki you can't understand then OK ask about bit your not sure of.
You will likely not connect to switch but will connect at a ceiling rose for extra lights.

Why the rolling eyes?

You said you were "after just a simple diagram or info on how to wire up 6 spot lights in my box room"

Right at the very top of the forum, there's a line which reads

folder_wiki.gif
Wiki: Please see if the answer to your query is already covered by the Wiki

And the Wiki has just the information you say you are looking for....

Sponsored Links
because before i even posted this thread i looked for the info i needed on the forums and in " wiki " yet because im no expert on the electrics i wasent to sure what i was looking for but anyway nevermind and thanks for the replys and lessons on how to use Wiki ;)

Live from supply to switch wire, switched live back to live on 1st fitting.

Neutral and earth from supply term on 1st fitting, the SL-N-E fitting1 to fiiting 2- then 3 - then 4 - then 5 - then 6.

Make sure the lamps aren't near joists and are not covered in insulation from the loft.

Neutral and earth from supply term on 1st fitting, the SL-N-E fitting1 to fiiting 2- then 3 - then 4 - then 5 - then 6.

Make sure the lamps aren't near joists and are not covered in insulation from the loft.

thank you very much Chris thats all i needed to know :D , yep got fire rated ones and ive removed the insulation from around where they are going ,

thank you very much Chris thats all i needed to know :D , yep got fire rated ones and ive removed the insulation from around where they are going ,

And of course you have checked that the addition of six spots does not exceed the limit on your mcb/fuse - after taking account of diversity.

got fire rated ones
Why?

and ive removed the insulation from around where they are going ,
You shouldn't just do that, as it contravenes the Building Regulations and will create draughts and possibly condensation in the loft space.

http://www.nhbc.co.uk/NHBCPublicati...ical/StandardsExtra/filedownload,16553,en.pdf

Also, some questions for you:

1) The wattage of the old light was: __________

2) The total wattage of the 6 spotlights will be: __________

3) This change is:
a) a good thing
b) a bad thing

4) Spotlights are called spotlights because
a) They produce spots of light
b) They only illuminate spots
c) They are no good at providing whole room illumination
d) All of the above

And of course yu have checked that the addition of six spots does not exceed the limit on your mcb/fuse - after taking account of diversity.

I'm sure it will be fine!
The OP just wants to stick 6 spots in, 300w max.

nope :( how would i go about checking this ?
thanks for the help

The On Site Guide suggests that you calculate the current demand for each circuit to ensure that both the cable and the overcurrent protection device can cope with that demand.

So if you have a 6amp MCB you max load in watts is 6 * 230v = 1380.

Assuming there are no issues with the cables being encased in insulation then you can count the number of lights (bulbs) on the circuit and multiply by 100watts. This is your total current demand.

Once you have this total multiply this number by .66 and this will give you the diversity figure in watts which should be less than the 1380watts outlined above.

As BigJon said this shouldn't be an issue, but since your adding a chunk of power and money eating lights to your lighting circuit you just need to check.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back