Installing a brand new electric shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

just to check i have got this all right before i get the electrician to sign it off.

Old fuse box was 3 wirable fuses sockets, lights and cooker, i wanted to put an 8.5kW electric shower in the bathroom, so replaced the old fuse box with a new CU 5 way, 1 for sockets at 32A, Lights at 6A, cooker at 32A and 8.5kW mira shower one at 45A fuse, the board has a 100A fuse and is RCD protected, the MCb are Single pole,

The new cable is 10mm out of the CU and goes up the wall in conduit, then across the hall ceiling in conduit and into the bathroom, where is it goes into a 45A DP pull cord isolating switch, then from this it is scribed into the wall and into the shower.

cheers pete

Sponsored Links
All your sockets and lights are on the RCD? This means that if it trips for any reason you'll be left with no lights and no freezer. :cry: :cry: :cry: Is this wise?

phmetcalfe said:
...get the electrician to sign it off.
Who tested your installation?

Who designed it?

What do you think "the electrician" will be signing, and why?

hi,

just to check i have got this all right before i get the electrician to sign it off.
Who is this "electrician" you speak of? What scheme is he registered with?

I ask because unless he's employed by a local authority to test your installation it is illegal for him to issue a certificate for work YOU designed and YOU installed.

I would advise you to read up on the WIKI on this forum, about Part P of the building regulations.

Sponsored Links
hi, no he will check the whole installation, all i have done is put the new consumer unit and the feed for the shower,

He is very unlikely to "sign it off" if it does not comply with BS 7671.

He'll PIR it (general inspection) but wont issue a certificate of completion for the work YOU did (which affects the whole installation).

Of course, if you have already found an electrician before you started this work, who said he would break the law and sign off your work and issue a cert, then you're lucky. But dont expect a spark to do this.

yeah he will check it n sign it off as safe and correct to part p standard, i thought its pretty normal to do so, he's fully acredited, its very simple new CU n the 10mm cable runs out of the cupboard into the switch which is by the door not above the shower tray, then it is chased into the wall into the shower unit, but anyway it was correct as its signed off thanks

oh and yes i did change the MCb's to RCBO's ?so the lights n sockets, cooker n shower are independantley RCD'd as he said that is best way, so if an appliance goes wrong at night you still have light to move safetly round.

Well some electricians will do it, but as I said, they aren't supposed to.

What is the title of the piece(s) of paper he left you (not invoice/reciept :LOL: ) How long was he there for?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back