Replacing electric shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing the existing 8.5kw electric shower in our ensuite bathroom. On checking the fuse in our CU (old style cartridge fuses without an RCD) I find that the fuse for the shower circuit is only 30A. My high school physics tells me that should only support 7.2kw (30Ax240V=7200W) of power. I was hoping to just replace the shower with another 8.5kw model but I'm concerned that it could be dangerous. Am I right to be concerned or am I missing something?

Sponsored Links
The fact it is a rewireable fuse, means that the rating of the fuse wire within the holder may be greater than 30A, if someone has incorrectly re-wired/re-fused it.

The fact it is a rewireable fuse, means that the rating of the fuse wire within the holder may be greater than 30A, if someone has incorrectly re-wired/re-fused it.
Interesting, I never thought of that. I'll take a look when I get home, thanks. The fuse itself has a machine printed 30A on it but I guess someone could possibly have got inside and changed the wire. I'm guessing if the fuse is rated too low for a 8.5kw shower it would have been blowing a fuse every time we used it?

No - a rewireable fuse will carry 1.8x its rating indefinitely.

A 30A one may pass 60A for up to 1¼ hours before it blows.

Sponsored Links
You should have a 30mA RCD fitted as well, which will more than likely be a requirement of the manufacturer anyway.

No, you can't just buy that because even the smaller of the two draws well over 30A, which is what you are limited to.

Have an electrician look at the circuit, depending on how its wired it might be possible to have a higher rated device protecting it and therefore a more powerful shower fitted.

Personally I'd give serious thought to having it rewired to take a 10.8kW shower anyway.

I didn't read this
old style cartridge fuses
:oops:
I read this, and didn't spot that it was b****cks:
:evil:

No - a rewireable fuse will carry 1.8x its rating indefinitely.

A 30A one may pass 60A for up to hours before it blows.
I can't find the non-fusing current for a 30A BS 1361, but the other two values, respectively, are 45A and 4 hours.

@Ban-all-sheds erm so can I just buy another 8.5kw or not? The old one worked fine for 8+ years so I'm guessing a new one with the same rating should be ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back