Installing a ceiling in Conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am mulling over the idea of installing a ceiling in my conservatory.

At the moment I have an Everest conservatory with a Polycarb roof.

I have been searching online and have come across several companies who are installing ceilings onto the underside of the conservatory roof by fixing timber battens and then either plasterboarding or UPVC cladding onto them.

From my understanding they are directly fixing the timber battens onto the roof Ali frame with screws.

My plan (if I go ahead) is to:

Fix 2x1 timber battens Vertically along the conservatory roof bars.
Fix Superquilt insulation to battens.
Fix 2x1 timber batten horizontally to vertical timber battens.
"wedge" 20/25mm Cellotex between timber framing.
Fix 1800x900x9.5mm Plasterbaords to Battens.
Skim

Now the issue I have is can the ali roof bars take this weight?

Roof is approx 11m2

Plasterboards fixed direct to Timber weighs 11kg / m2 according to the British Gypsum White book giving an overall load weight of 121kg plus the weight of insulation / battens / plaster

Any thoughts or advice is greatly received.

Adam

Sponsored Links
i always think that you would get problems with the plastered option because of the expanding and contracting of the ali&upvc roof, also you wouldn't know if there was a leak till the plaster is fubar'ed. ive seen the cladded roofs which the roof would definately take the weight of, and if you do this yourself you can save a wedge. looks poo to me though (only my opinion). Guardian do a full tile effect and plastered roof but they are very expensive

You don't want anything black or reflective just below the polycard roof as it will bounce the heat back which could in extreme weather melt the roof.

Sponsored Links
I've not done this myself but am not convinced it's a good idea.

If the roof has extra weight attached it might be more likely to deflect, and leak.

If the roof leaks you won't see the leak until it starts rotting your timbers.

Any cracks or gaps in the plasterboarded finish could let moist air through from below, and cause condensation, also rotting your timbers.

You might be better off replacing the whole roof with a timber one, but then will the conservatory structure support it?

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back