Installing a ceiling light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The new light fittings I have bought only have 2 places to put wires (ignoring earth) rather than the usual 3. Is it OK to connect the rest together with a connector in the ceiling rather than in the missing third hole in the light fitting?

Sponsored Links
Since I have been trying to find an answer to my question on the Internet all day, and have found the same question heaps of times from other people but no helpful answer, I have actually tried my own solution and it works great. So for future reference anyone trying to fit an IKEA ceiling light which doesn't seem to have as many places to put wires as the old fitting you take down, I suggest buying a 50p plastic connector and connecting the 3 reds that won't go anywhere else to that - it even fits inside the light fitting.

Sponsored Links
He said he was going to put the connector in the ceiling, not in the fitting. I pointed out that he couldnt put it in the ceiling unless it was enclosed.

As the termination is (now) in the light fitting enclosure that's fine.

Cool, thanks. So what you're saying is that if the connector hadn't fit in the light fitting, I would have had to put it in one of those little plastic boxes you can get for them?

Back