Replacing a ceiling light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, can anyone help me out there?
I'm replacing a ceiling light that when fitted will leave gaps / holes in the ceiling where the existing hole is. The previous light was bigger and had a sensible amount of room for the wiring to be comfortably housed.
The new fitting is effectively the shape of a polo mint about 200cm diameter and about 30cm thick. In other words very awkward to mount.
I have two problems. The hole in the ceiling and the recess in the light fitting means it's the wiring is going to be pretty cramped by the time its fitted but the biggest issue is how do I fill the hole, apply polyfilla and paint.
Hope someone can help??
DIYBIRD

Sponsored Links
Switch the power OFF at the fuses don't rely on the light switch, just say'in.

Have you any original ceiling to fix the light too? If you have, wire the new light with the light in place on the ceiling or hanging on the wires, up to you whichever is easier. Ensure the screws will hold the light in place. Test the light, if ok turn OFF at the fuses.

Now, loosen the screws holding it in place, so you can fill around it easily. Mix a little filler and with a spreader fill the holes. You can cover the light with a plastic bag if you want? When the filler is about to dry smooth with the spreader or cloth or sponge. If happy with the finish let it dry fully (days rather than hours) and paint. If not happy apply more filler or use sandpaper to smooth
Tighten the working light to the ceiling

You maybe able to get a replacement like the original did you try E-Bay?

See how you get on

I left out the obvious stuff like switching the main switch back on to test.

Just be careful with electricity it can kill

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CEILING-R...ighting_Lamps_Lighting_SM&hash=item4d04d322a7

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Hello,
Thank you for your help.
I thought I'd add a picture to better explain what I'm up against.
I've connected the wires and fitted the new light.
As you can hopefully see the rim of the light doesn't cover the old ceiling socket where all the wires are housed. There are quite large gaps (about an inch either side of the new circular light strip. I fitted a small plate from ply but I think this is going to be really tricky to plaster over as it's not fitting flush and it moves. If I take off the plate i'm left with the socket of wires. I'm not sure I can fill the hole around wires can I??

The problem is worsened by the fact that there's not really enough room for all the wires and they're pushing down against the light i.e. I'm having to force them up in to the socket. Should I shorten the wires inside the socket? There wasn't this issue with the previous light fitting because all the wires fitted comfortably inside the old rose

Hope this makes sense.

GALLERY]

You can put strips of ply through and screw through the ceiling into the ply which will secure the ply (be careful not to screw through the wires). Once the ply is in place and secure you can pollyfilla over or plaster if you prefer.

If there isn't enough room for all the wires in the fitting you could connect some of them together in a connector block pushed back into the hole, as long as you can still see/get to the block when the fitting is removed.

Sponsored Links
I would loosen the light unit, break the ply off and with the power SWITCHED OFF fill around the wires with filler. Cover the light with a plastic bag/ masking tape. As the filler dries move the wires a little so they have room in the hole to move as you tighten the light.

Its a bit time consuming, and you might have to have a few attempts to get it looking good.

Wait until it dries, finish as previous post and tighten the light

Hope this makes sense?

Thanks for that
Where do I put strips of ply through?
I've already fitted the wires into junction blocks if that what you mean. Its very tight in there, the hole is tiny and with no rose as you can see from the fitting.
This is the wiring I have to contend with.
[GALLERY=media, 52907][/GALLERY]

There's some sort of metallic insert that's housing the wires, it's been built in with the ceiling. I've glued the ply plate I made to what's available to glue to it which isn't much....oh dear, maybe I should get a professional in but I'm nearly there. I'm wondering about shortening the wires....that might help with the resistance issue and would maybe help stop the plate pushing out.

See what you mean now, is that a metal back box? Can't you screw the ply into the lugs on it?

....not sure what they're called but that would make sense.
Yes, good suggestion but hey ho the problem with this is even though the ply is really thin and sinks a little if you screw it in I've then got very little room to hide the screw heads!! :cry:

countersink them and fill over, and will any of the cable push back out of the back box into the ceiling?

very difficult to countersink with 1mm ply but will see what I can do.
No I can't push it up any more really. I don't know what the wires are with the green and yellow taping over, they're taking up most of the room.

If it's only a small box you could look at removing and inserting a larger one, not even sure if they are strictly necessary (not qualified though) but I guess if you have any insulation in the ceiling it may be. You would need to widen the hole and use a bigger piece of ply to cover once done.

The wires taped together are probably the live in and the live feed to the switch which then comes back up as switched live on one of the other wires.

It looks to me (not qualified though) like there's 1 loop in and a 3core for the switching which seems a bit odd. Is there more than 1 light or 2 way switching maybe? post a photo of the wires inside the switch(es)

gosh, removing the metal box might be beyond my capabilities, It might be easier to get a different light fitting. It's well and truly cemented into the ceiling. I try screwing the ply plate in and making the screw holes slightly larger so I can sink the screws as much as I can.
THANK YOU SO FAR FOR ALL YOUR HELP BTW

Is it a flat? I would expect it to be screwed to a joist rather than cemented.

yes an ex local authority flat. The only reason I say cement is because it was a battle to drill 2 of the 3 holes for the light fitting plate. One hole was easy through plast but I got though 2 masonry drill bits before I could get a deep enough hole, and even then I had to shorted the raw plugs! Why I didn't pick a light with a rose I don't know lol!

Sponsored Links
Back