Installing a deck with path around house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have a largeish garden (about 1/4 acre) and are hoping to put in a 32 x 16 foot deck rather than a patio but I am slightly confused about putting it in.

We have a concrete path around our house which is about three feet wide, do I put the deck adjacent to the house on top of the path and secured to the concrete walls of the house, or do I put the deck after the path and therefore have to dig out the depth of the supports for the deck so I have a level path and deck?

i've checked all my gardening diy books and none make any reference to this at all.

Putting the deck on the concrete will still leave it below the damp proof course if that's any help

thanks again for any replies.

Sponsored Links
Its probably not a good idea to have the deck bellow ground level (or at least the frame) as this will accelerate the rotting process of the wood, due to the damp which will be contained within the hole. You tend to find that decking is usually above ground level with facias on the edges.

Hope this helps. Unless anyone else has a good way to avoid this problem? ;)

Hi

If you've got a good, solid, even and level (or very slight incline) path you could use a smaller joist (in depth).

This is because you have good support beneath and so don't need the strength of the extra wood.

I would suggest trying several sizes to see how it works and finding the best for the job that minimises the additional height of the deck. lay a board out so you can see how well each supports the boards.

deck squares are designed with intregal support so they can be laid direct on good solid ground if required.

you should have 3 or 4 inches or 10cms below damp proof layer to avoid splash attack.

loublou said:
Hi

you should have 3 or 4 inches or 10cms below damp proof layer to avoid splash attack.

Good point to consider, however the ideal is 2 courses (or 170mm) minimum below damp course ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, that really helps in terms of how we tackle it we were completely confused.

I'll get measuring the dpc and see how much space we have to work with

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back