Installing a dimmer for downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've installed downlights within my chimney.

I wish to install a dimmer to the connection but the main power source comes from a lead/13amp socket.

Obviously, there are two live/neutral & 1 earth (one set from the lead that I made and one set from the downlights).

I gather with this that I need to purchase a two way dimmer switch as if I connect with a one way switch the lights would just be on but not dimmable?

Sponsored Links
Not the most professional method (your installation) via cord flex, plug and in to a 13a ring.

Hey ho.......

A single pole dimmer will do the job. You need to have the live going in to the C of the dimmer, then the live to the lights goes from the L1 of the dimmer.
The neutral goes direct to the other side of the lights, if you break the cable at the dimmer / switch then a choc termination can be used to extend the broken neutral up to the lights.

Please make sure the plug fuse is rated low enough, 3A should be fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back