Installing a free standing electric cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I purchased an electric oven and because I am running so low on money at the minute I have had no choice but to install it myself. I was hoping somebody with electrical knowledge could answer my questions. I have purchased the correct cable and connected the correct wires to the live, neutral and earth positions and cut the cable to size and opened up the terminal box on the wall. This area had no directions just 3 wires Red, Yellow & Black. I have connected the live wire into the red terminal block, the earth into the yellow and the neutral into the black. After turning the electric supply back on I turned the oven on and hobs all seems to be working correctly I am just worried as never attempting this before I would like to know is it possible for the oven to still appear to work normally even if it has not been wired correctly? What signs would I be looking for? I have touched around the oven and received no electric shock so I imagine that I have earthed it correctly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Hello coolguydudeman,
Where did you connect the cable to get your live supply?
Did you follow the instruction that came with the cooker?
You say cooker was new, but red, black, yellow terminals, so new to you or new from shop?
It sound like you have made the correct connections, the cooker is working, just hope you have the correct size cable for the protective device/fuse/rcbo/mcb.

I'm guessing the cable colours in the CCU are old wiring colours.

Sounds like you've done it right, but it's hard to tell without seeing it.

What can I say....? Take a picture?..

Sponsored Links
I suppose I am just worried about electrical shocks but I am guessing this would be apparant as soon as I switched the oven on and touched the hobs etc? - I took the instruction booklet to B&Q and the assistant picked up the correct cable for me.

http://i56.tinypic.com/2rqm3q8.jpg

(I removed the little snipped cables left in from the previous oven first) Live cable into red, Earth into yellow & Neutral into black. I made sure there was no copper wire poking out and the wires were screwed tightly into the terminals.

Sounds like you made the right connection, the yellow cable in the middle is a CPC/earth cable the yellow insulation tape should be removed and replaced with green/yellow PVC sleeving
Lets hope the helpful B&Q assistant gave you the right cable size.
Do you know what the CSA of that cable is and the size of the protective device in the consumer unit/fuse box for the circuit and also the output power of the cooker? These are important things, just as important than getting the cables in the right terminals! As we are now safe from electric shock, we don't want to set the place on fire do we?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back