Installing a hearth on a non-working fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all!

I'm refurbishing a house (as you'll probably know due to my sheer presence on this forum as of late!) and I need to now source and install two hearths for two non working fireplaces (show-only, in the two upstrairs bedrooms).

My question to you is - I've never done this before, do I have any chance of getting it done without messing it up, is it quite a hard job? My level of skill is medium to advanced, but have never installed anything of the sort before.

In addition, where would you go if you were to source some affordable hearths cut roughly to measure? I can always cut them properly at home, but I'd rather they were mostly cut already.

Cheers!

G

Sponsored Links
The cast iron bit is fixed to the wall with raw plugs and washers. The base hearth just sits under its own weight

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    105.1 KB · Views: 191
Thanks for your help guys - What I was looking at was a little detail around how you would install the actual hearth, as in, would you literally just sit it there under its own weight or would you dot and dab some mortar under it to keep it firm at all? Also, I guess it needs to be very much level and flush wtih the floor under the hearth before installing, so I wanted to use a little levelling compound to get it to sit solid under it. Does that make sense?

Thanks again!

Sponsored Links
By all means level up the sub floor and I suppose you could drop something to stop it moving but they are very heavy so unless you are probe to earthquakes they normally don't move.

Awesome, thanks very much for the feedback Fran, appreciated!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back