installing a limestone fireplace HELP!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok folks, here's my dilemma.

I have purchased a lovely limestone fireplace from some git on eBay who has sent me the cut limestone pieces and a packet of what looks like cement but no blooming instructions. I really need to get on with building this fireplace today or tomorrow as I have to then fit some skirting up to it, which needs painting, and then we are having a wood floor fitted up to the hearth on Wednesday. So time is of the essence and Mr eBay is not returning my messages.

Does anyone have experience of doing this? How many parts water to cement? Should I be cementing the hearth to the floorboards and the other pieces to the wall? Or just cement them to each other? How much cement? Or should I be using some other type of fixings? Should I brace the pieces together somehow while they dry? How long will it take to dry and how long before I can actually get the gas fire fitted in there? Am I completely missing the point??

Any help much appreciated!!!

Sponsored Links
sorry have only just seen post and presume all was fitted wednesday as you indicated.

if your still stuck let me know.

unlike marble cleanliness is a big issue. depends how fussy you are but i seal mine once its installed with a spray i buy from my local fire shop (AKEMI Triple Effect Counter Refresher). you can tell if its already sealed by pouring clean water on - if it sits their then its sealed if it spreads then its not sealed and any marks will be difficult to remove.

fixing depends to an extent on whether fire is gas or electric.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back