Installing a ne CH Thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help please!!!! Typically for this time of year our central heating has decided to pack up.

After doing initial checks, a plumber has told me that it is a problem with my thermostat (an old Wylex Non Track 1 Amp 250v). A local plumbers' merchant has sold me a Honeywell T6360 Room Thermostat (230v) as a replacement but this is where my problem starts.....

I have three different coloured electrical wires going into the Wylex:

Yellow to 'Neutral'
Red to 'Live In'
Blue to 'Live Out'.

The new Honeywell has a series of terminals numbered 1 to 4 but from the diagrams provided it only shows where one live wire should go rather than 'Live In' and 'Live Out'. The Honeywell diagram also seems to show two neutral wires going into two separate terminals.

Does anyone have any ideas how this should be wired up? Please help as we have a toddler with a very runny nose.

Sponsored Links
as you have the stat and instructions and i dont what do they say ?

There aren't any written instructions - just a diagram.

The diagram shows a 'live' wire going into terminal 1 - this then shows the circuit continuing (inside the diagram of the stat) to a switch and then onto terminal 4.

The 'neutral' wire(s) come from/go into either side of a drawing of a box called 'Heating Load' and they then go into/out from terminals 3 and 4 of the stat. Inside the diagram of the stat the circuit from terminal 2 goes on to a zig-zag symbol (meaning element?) and then this goes on to join terminal 3.

thats useful

you mean like

stat.gif

IF SO (and only if i read your post right)

red goes to 1

blue goes to 4

link from 1 to 2

yellow goes to 3

Sponsored Links
Breezer, Thanks; that's really helpful.

Your drawing is spot on except the terminals on my diagram are numbered from left to right as:

4 3 2 1

rather than

1 2 3 4 as on your drawing. I assume that this doesn't make a difference to which terminals the wires go?

Also, could you just clarify what you mean by 'link from 1 to 2'? Is that an instruction for me to physically link anything between terminals 1 and 2.

as the late Eric Morcombe would have said "all the right bits, but not necessairly in the the right order"

but yes put wires as per numbers, and yes you should link 1 to 2 as this provides a live to the internal heater, and 3 is the neutral for the heater, that is unless there is already an internal link, but you best have a good look first.

Thanks

But please bear with me - I'm a total novice on electrics.

Further to your drawing, and looking again at the diagram that came with the stat, it looks as though the switch that is on the circuit between terminals 1 and 4 'toggles' between that circuit and the circuit that links terminals 2 and 3 (the circuit where the element/internal heater is shown). Would this mean that I now don't have to link anything from terminals 1 to 2?

Does this make a difference? Sorry if I didn't make this clear earlier.

as you said looks like and you have the stat and i do not just connect 1 & 4 put the other wire in a connector block

That's what I thought you meant.

You've been extremely patient and helpful - Thank you again.

One last question, do you have any safety advice on where I can put the one wire when it's in the connector block? The casing of the stat seems far too narrow when screwed up for it to fit in there.

you only use one connector, not the whole strip :LOL: don't cut the wire short you may need it at a later date, but you can "fold it"

That's excellent, I know I'm a tit. When I get out of the burns unit I'll drop you a line.

Thanks again and enjoy what's left of the weekend.

just post on here that it was usefull. you are switching the mains off aren't you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back