Installing a new Floor - DPC - Floor / Ground level Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hoping someone may be able to help.

Situation, i am buying an old house that requires a considerable amount of work. One job requires floors installing to the ground floor.

The current floor is an earthen floor that is tiled throughout. Ceiling height varies at the mo between 2.5 and 2.6mtrs. Now along one wall of the building there is a public footpath which is roughly 150 to 200mm above the internal earthen floor level. Ground level within the boundary of the property and around the remaining three walls is of a similar level. There are no air bricks and never have been.

There is no physical DPC, a chemical DPC has been attempted in the past but has failed miserably (No surprises there!) sorry i have absolutely no faith or confidence in a CDPC at all.

As far as i know there is no longer a minimum internal ceiling height restriction, but there are restrictions on door, window cill and window heights etc. There is as far as i can gather a recommended minimum ceiling height of 2.2mtrs.

I want to install a Physical DPC, hard work i know but when done correctly its done full stop. I want to install it at least two bricks above the footpath level so it would come in at roughly 2.35mtrs from the ceiling. i will be using 18mm flooring, when i replace the lat and plaster ceiling with 9mm plasterboard i will gain a few millimetres!

As i understand things the minimum depth under floor is 300mm from the underside of the joists to the earthen floor, i will gain a little but by removing the floor tiles and levelling i hope but not a full 300mm i don't think. it'll be very close though.

Largest room size is 4.6mtrs X 3.4mtrs, i don't want to raise the floor too high or i'll have to increase the height of doors and lift the gas, electric and water meters, sounds expensive! all of which are at ground level.

I would prefer to install a floating wooden floor structure because i believe that a concrete floor will compound damp problems at the walls but i believe that such a floor could be partly below the DPC and give an under floor gap of less than 300mm.

Concrete is also a problem because its not possible to get a vehicle within 400yds of the house! no vehicle access at all.

Can anybody offer any advice as to how i can solve my damp problem, get in a wooden floor structure and maximise ventilation to the under floor area.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back