Installing a painted glass splashback

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I installed a painted glass splashback in my kitchen about 6 months ago using silicon as recommended by the supplier. I noticed recently it had slipped down the wall by about an inch so I removed it immediately.

On removal I realised that only small patches of the silicon had actually been compressed against the wall, the rest of it wasn't providing much support.

I also realised the back was covered in a layer of plastic over the painted surface.

Are you meant to remove the plastic layer and let the paint hold the silicon or did it just fail because I didn't get enough silicon in contact with both surfaces?

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Probably a bit of both, I use a thin bead along top and bottom edge so it's not seen from the front when fixed, also needs a fairly flat surface to stick too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back