Installing a T & G Chipboard Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I''ve had a quick search for tha answer on this but nothing came up.

Installing the above...22mm to a first floor extension.

Got plenty of chipboard screws 5 x 50mm.....do I also need to glue the joints? If so, is this to prevent future 'squeaking' ?

Many thanks
Lee

Sponsored Links
Didn't realise the stuff was so unpopular. I'm just a DIY'er.

So, should I glue or not ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
lee - have you bought the chipboard yet? If you haven't, DON'T. Use T&G flooring ply and if any of this new flooring is going into a bathroom consider using exterior grade ply there.

Use glue both in the T&G and to the face of the joist, fix at 150mm centres around the edges of the panel, and 300mm centres down the middle.

Preferably use screws rather than nails.

Ideally get an expanding glue, very strong bond and fills up gaps.

Plywood is the preferred material, but chipboard floors can be installed with no squeaking issues.

In my experience, Chipboard flooring is best loose-laid, on a bonfire.

That said, to be fair, its very commonly used in the trade. Get it down, dont both with glue, imo. Certainly what was done in my parents house and my attic.

Daniel

Chipboard can compress around the fixing, which means the fixing becomes a little loose - loose = rubbing = squeak.

Glueing tends to stop this as its bond is stronger than the fixing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back