Installing a triple 2 way switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, new to your forum but maybe someone can assist.

I have installed an external porch light but need some assistance with the wiring. I want to replace a 2 way switch with triple 2 way. My current switch works the hallway and landing lights. Can anyone assist with the additional wiring in the new switch and transferring the current wiring also?
My old switch as 2 x com ports, 2 x L1 & 2 x L2. The new has 3 of everything. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
what is the existing wiring like at the switch?

it's very likely that you won't have a neutral at the switch so you will need to add or change some cable to the switch before you can run your porch light from it,

The wiring in the 2 way is as follows

Bottom : 1 x black, 1 x red, 1 x yellow (in com port)

Top : 1 x yellow (in com port), black & blue together, 2 x reds together

3 x earths

My new socket layout is

Top : L1 L2 L1 L2 L1 L2

Bottom : COM COM COM

Thanks

hmm are you sure you got that right?

two yellows and only one blue seems very strange

Sponsored Links
ok that makes perfect sense :)

you first need to stop thinking in terms of rows and realise that each switch is a triangle then you should be able to fiairly easilly see what is going on when you look at it with reference to the diagrams in the for reference section here.

this should be enough information to transfer the existing two switch gangs to your new three gang switch.

the new gang is a little more problematic the basic problem is your wall light needs a neutral from somewhere and you don't have one at your switch box.

if the two lights are on the same cuircuit you could repurpose one of the cores in the red/black cable which i presume goes direct to the hall light and then borrow a live from the other gang but you should not do this accross different cuircuits

if they are on different cuircuits then you will need to either run a totally seperate feed to the switch with a live and neutral or replace the drop from the hall light with 3+E cable to give you sufficiant cores to have live neutral and switched live in the cable.

Just a thought but ---

Three 2-way switches in the same back box is a lot of wires. I've done this and I used a 35mm deep box. How big is yours?

Wires fit fine thanks.

Just looking for a diagram/instructions online for the correct installation.

What I have.

Old switch running landing & hallway lights

Bottom : 1 x blue, 1 x red, 1 x yellow (in com port)

Top : 1 x yellow (in com port), black & blue together, 2 x reds together

3 x earths

New Triple 2 Way switch layout is

Top : L1 L2 L1 L2 L1 L2

Bottom : COM COM COM

Wiring on the security light is 3 core.

Can anyone help with the correct positioning of wires including the security light wiring in the new triple 2 way switch before her indoors gets home?

In a word, no. As Plugwash has already pointed out, you don't have a neutral wire on your existing switch - and you need one! To get round this you'll have to open up some other junction boxes and/or light fittings. Are you sure you want to do this? I don't see you getting it done before your deadline.

Here's some of the information you need:

Blue and red from bottom to leftmost L1 and L2 on top.

Yellow on top to leftmost COM on bottom.

Black+blue and red+red to middle L1 and L2 on top.

Yellow on bottom to middle COM on bottom.

All three earths into earth terminal as before.

If you get this right you'll find that two of your switches work as before and the third one does nothing. If you get it wrong you'd better have a diagram of the old switch so you can put it all back. I strongly recommend that you get this much working before you try to add the external light to that third switch.

Felix

That works fine. Now for the hard bit, telling her indoors its not finished just yet.

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back