Installing a Wall Lantern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Experts,

I wonder if anyone can give me some info. I've bought an external wall light with a PIR movement sensor to replace an existing wall light in a communal stairway. The instructions for the new light say that it should be connected to a 3 amp double-poled switched fused spur. The old light was connected to an ordinary light switch. Do I need to replace this switch with a fused one or can I wire the new light up to the existing switch as it will not be subject to outdoor conditions?

Lagu

Sponsored Links
by the sounds of it the new light instructions assume its to be fed via a ring main. so in your case just note what goes where on existing fitting.

one question, why fit a light with pir on a switch?

if you are worried abot some one leaving it on, hence pir may i suggest pneumatic tiime delay switches

Thank you for the info Breezer. Now I can go ahead and wire it up. I live in a tenement which has no stair lighting except for the lanterns that each householder installs by their outer doors. These have to be switched on and off as it gets dark; hence I thought a motion sensor light would be more useful. When I read the instructions I thought it might be dangerous to connect it to the existing switch.
Thanks again.
Lagu

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back