Installing a window into a new wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,I'm extending my garage,the new walls being built a half brick thick,and I have a couple of used UPVC windows that I'd like to fit.

Should I build the wall around the window frame,or make up a simple timber frame of slightly larger dimension,and then fit the new windows after the wall's built?

Sponsored Links
I wouldnt bother with a sub-frame just build around the existing.

You will need to put some packing around the frame for expansion ... 3-5mm hardboard is useful.

Don't build it tight to the frame

I wouldnt bother with a sub-frame just build around the existing.

I meant a timber frame as a "pattern" for the uPVC frame,to take out after the wall's built and then slip in the uPVC frame and fix it in with masonry fixings.
Are you saying I should simply prop the uPVC frame in the desired position and the build the brickwork up to and around it?

Sponsored Links
Yes, and I think Alastair meant that too

Why make a dummy frame when you already have the proper frame?

Oh, and put some hardboard or cardboard or something on the cill too, to protect it

Yes, and I think Alastair meant that too

Why make a dummy frame when you already have the proper frame?

Oh, and put some hardboard or cardboard or something on the cill too, to protect it

Hi,thanks for all the replies.

Should I use those little galvanized frame fixing brackets that screw to the sides of the frame and are cemented inbetween courses,use something like hammer fixings,or with the mortar hold the frame securely without all that?

I was also wondering whether I could fit the windows so that they're flush with the top of the wall so I don't need lintels - or would that make for a weaker wall?

Frame cramps are for timber windows. Plastic need fixing after the wall is built with the proper fixings. You don't need lintels if there is no roof weight on them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back