Installing an electric hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have the manual for my 7kW hob and it says that the fitted cable is suitable for a 220-230V, 2 phase connection.
Neff hob type HSE-6RAG400

For any other connection refer to figure 5. But the booklet does not have any figures in it at all.

I know about phases but not how to wire anything but single phase.

As I will be using single phase has anyone any idea about how to wire this unit?
It has a single mains cable (apparently the applience is type Y cannot be changed by the user)

The previous owner installed it himself but couldn't remember what he did or why he did it.

Sponsored Links
2 phase connection? - should have 2 lives, a neutral and a earth. Connect the lives together and the rest as normal.

Its obviously European where they use 2 phases because the supply is so weedy (40A supplies etc) and it spreads this heavy load across 2 15A circuits on different phases.

Nope, says it is fitted with 6 x 1.5mm2 electrical cable made of silicone (I guess they really mean the sheath is silicone)

The actual cable is as described except it looks like a UK 10mm2 with red and black multi cores. With BASEC and DONCASTER on the sheath I think maybe it has already been made suitable for the UK and the manual is out of date.

Comments?

could you take a pic of the ratings plate, or tell us what it says?

It may have 2 neutrals too, but theres a 6th core? :confused:

Sponsored Links
I may have mislead you about the multi core.

I mean multi strand. Look like standard sinlge phase 10mm2
The ratings plate has been stuck to the manual I think.
It says
230/400 3N V (ac (no tilda)) 50Hz 7000W

so the cable came fitted permenant to the hob? is there no access panel on the hob so you can inspect the wiring? where was it wired up before? hobs dont normally come with a cable attached afaik.

If it is standard T+E, it has probably been wired up before with the 2 lives linked in the hob itself. Check this.

I could undo the bolts on the bottom and try to have a look at the wiring although the unit is only 18 months old and still under warranty.

Another bit of the disclaimer wording in the manual says that 'The applience is type Y and this means that the input supply cable cannot be changed by the user. Only the brand's service technicians are qualified to replace this cable. Use the ricght cable type and section.'

Is it standard twin and earth cable? was it wired in a normal house before?

If yes to both, wire the hob to the mains like you normally would.

Searched the site and found that taking it apart is probably a bad idea and like taking the head off a modern engine best left to the guys who do it every day.
I think all the har work has been done. Just checking.
Many thanks for your time and effort.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back