Installing an electric oven

Status
Not open for further replies.
jamz said:
I too am trying to fit an under the work-top standard electric oven. I've fitted a brand new BS1363 13a plug and put it in the usual wall socket. The indicator bulb flashes briefly when i turn the dial to put the oven light on but then nothing happens. The same thing happens with the oven controls.
Does this happen every time you turn the oven controls, or just the first time?

There is clearly power there but it isn't functioning generally. Does this mean i need a new cable? Do i need a different plug?
If there's power to the oven then there's nothing wrong with the plug or the cable. If the oven isn't using the power correctly then either there is something wrong with the oven or how you're operating it.

The power rating is 220v working on 50 Hz A/C
That's not the power rating, that's the voltage and the frequency rating. Somewhere, almost certainly at the point where the cable enters the oven, there will be a plate telling you what the load is (in W or kW), or how much current it draws (in A).

- can i use this in a normal wall socket.
Ovens are often under the 3kW limit for a plug. If your oven rating assumes a 220V supply then you should regard 2640W or 12A as the largest it should be if you want to connect it via a plug.

It's currently plugged into a twin socket. My washing machine runs of the other one. Any ideas?
You should avoid using both the w/m and the oven at once, as double sockets are not designed to deliver 2 x 13A indefinitely - see //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=42047&highlight=#42047

And that's for MK sockets - one of the best on the market. C&N ones will perform more poorly.

Sponsored Links
Dear Ban all sheds,

thanks for the info! On checking the plate the power rating is 2300w, so it should work ok off a domestic plug!

When i turn the dial the light flicks on briefly each time, so the fuse hasn't been burnt out!

Any other ideas, what could be wrong?

jamz

If your "egg timer" is set wrong or if the oven is inadvertantly set to AUTO instead of MAN, or in some cases if the clock isn't set correctly, then the oven can refuse to function.

Other than that have you tried replacing it?

May I respectfully suggest that some of the queries made in these forums make me very doubtful as to whether the enquirer should be tempting any electrical work at all. I`m all for encouraging the general search for knowledge, and if you don't ask, you'll never find out, but,.........
Another point, long ago it was common practice to make the connection from outlet plate to cooker using the appropriately size twin and earth cable. Observation over the years has shown me that quite often this type of cable becomes brittle in the vicinity of the appliance due to the general heat of the appliance. I would have thought that common sense would have specified heat resistant cable for this part of the installation, yet this factor is never mentioned or recommended. Will someone please tell me why ? Billandhiscat,

Sponsored Links
Why are you adding to a two year old topic? Your post deserves a new topic.

Sorry if my approach was incorrect, but having just come across this website, and not finding any recomendation on this important issue, I thought it appropriate to raise the matter. Whether the forum is two years old or not, the issue is still relavent. Billandhiscat.
Would still like to know why this matter has been ignored from previous offered advice.

billandhiscat said:
Sorry if my approach was incorrect
Erm, you might be sorry, but you're still doing it.

billandhiscat said:
...but having just come across this website, and not finding any recomendation on this important issue, I thought it appropriate to raise the matter.
That's fair enough, but please read the forum rules.

billandhiscat said:
Whether the forum is two years old or not, the issue is still relavent.
Not on this topic it isn't!

billandhiscat said:
Would still like to know why this matter has been ignored from previous offered advice.
Because you haven't started a new topic!

Forum = a sub-section of this web site.
Topic (aka thread) = a series of posts that discuss a paticular subject of concern.
Post = a single entry submitted by a single forum member.

Okay,Okay, consider me suitably *******ed. My only excuse is that I certainly did not read the rules, and that my unfamiliarity with this site (and websites in general) caused the slip up. Will try better next time.
Regards, Billandhiscat.

yeah but how do we now know what the answer to the question is??

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hmmm, a thread from November 03 that won't die?

Time I locked it.

Mod Rupert

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back