Installing Aurora downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have purchased some Aurora Enlite EN-DLM918x downlights.

The instructions state that a 75mm hole needs to be made for them. What is confusing me is that as well as the normal springs there are 2 little metal tabs or "ears" in between.

These tabs stick out from the can nearly 10mm and the gap between the bottom edge and the face of the bezel is only about 5mm so these will be against the cut edge of the plaster board. Surely they are going to damage the plaster board? The bezel only overlaps them less than 5mm across the width on each side as well so any damage is likely not to be covered completely.

I have looked at other lights that don't seem to have these extra tabs. I like the look of these lights and the fact they are fire rated and are coverable by insulation. Quality also feels ok. How do I install these without making a mess of my ceiling?!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If I understand correctly -

When you push the light into the hole the little tabs fold down, parallel to the can, thus pulling the long bit down tight against the plasterboard.

upload_2018-6-12_21-26-12.png

Sponsored Links
Yep I see that. These lights don't have that they have a spring arm each side plus half way between each arm a little tab that sticks out see the pic on the link I posted. The tab is close enough to the face of the bezel that it will be against the cut edge of the plaster board. On the pic on the link it's the silver bit near the bezel that protrudes from the can. There is one on each side.

I'm not sure!! The directions don't point them out and the 75mm cut out dimension does not Llow for them!!

No. Have a look at my link it's the little tabs that are on the top face of the can near the bezel. It has the spring arms in place of those bits in your link.

They are riveted on so removal is possible if drilled out but not sure if that will affect operation, obviously it will invalidate any warranty

Yep cool thanks for that I was trying to work out how to post an edited pic!!

I have contacted the suppliers but not had a sensible reply yet. Was hoping someone might have used them and had some real world advice. I will contact Aurora.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back