Installing decking lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I am nearing the completion of my decking and wanted to install some decking spotlights. I have some limited electrical experience and realise this work falls within Part P regs etc but wanted some advice.

I want to run 10 spotlights via a socket with an outdoor switch to knowck them ona and ooff. The switch will be connected to the lights via 0.75 mm pond wire and to a depth of 600 mm under the ground surface. The live power to the switch will be via a fused spur conncected to a socket in the kitchen.

Will the 0.75 mm cable be sufficient to run 10 lights? They use 50w GU10 bulbs.

Sponsored Links
So lets get this right.

You want to tap off the lighting circuit, using 0.75mm 'pond cable' through a switch, out into the garden for how far? burrying this stuff 600mm under the ground to power 10 50w lights.

You clearly have very little idea of what you are doing.

Call an electrician, find one at www.competentperson.co.uk

get him to design, install, inspect, test, certify and notify your garden lights
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

What is "pond wire", and how does it differ from "black flex", which i have connected to my pond pump?

Sponsored Links
On a serious note:

What is "pond wire", and how does it differ from "black flex", which i have connected to my pond pump?
AFAICT it's TRS flex given a special name so that it can be sold at special prices in sheds & garden centres.

I was actually serious! Yes, my last name is Haddock and no, it wasnt a wind up. The fishy comments I have had all my life and they will no doubt continue! Maybe if you had a surname like "trout" then you would understand :)

The electrician is coming tomorrow, as Oharaf pointed out in a less than subtle way (no offence taken), I do have very little idea of what i am doing so took his advice and called in the expert! I wouldnt have attempted to fit it myself but wanted to see if the theory was right.
Ban-all-sheds, yes, it is basically 0.75 3 core marketed as "pond wire", although there is no pond in my garden so clearly a marketing rouse.
Thanks all for the replies.

So lets get this right.

You want to tap off the lighting circuit

No, he wants to use a fused spur off the kitchen sockets, to feed an outdoor weatherproof switch. Nothing wrong with that.

I don't think that the pond puns were at the expense of your name, rather your use of "pond wire"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back