Installing DG units in aperture that USED to have sash cords

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

Although I am a new member I have browsed this site many times for help needed. It's only now that I've needed some advice that I have finally registered!! :oops:

I plan to install some DG units in my sons nursery and our bedroom primarily to reduce outside noise but also for all the other benefits.

I have had a couple of rough quotes from a local manufacturer to supply the windows and checked with the planning department that no planning consent is required (we live in a conservation area, but not covered by Article4).

I have now got to the point of taking accurate measurements and noticed that the replacement windows that were put in, are, I think, fixed into the original box sections. That is to say, the brickwork on the outside seems to come into the window further than inside, with a whole lot of wood on the inside.

My "main" questions are:

1) Do I need to remove the box sections to get the best performance out of DG or for aesthetics?
2) If not then would I need to fit the frames from outside in?
3) If I do indeed have to remove the boxes, is it a major job and what could I use to finish up the inside void I would create.

Sorry if I haven't given you enough info required to help. Please reply and I will do my best.

I can supply photos if it makes it any easier.

Thanks

Owen

Sponsored Links
I've had a few of these, mainly on old terraced.
The new window will be fitted to the brickwork currently showing and will extend over the sash box sections. You can take them out and fill with new brick/block [tricky] new wood screwed [or even foamed] to internal wall and plasterboard over or leave them in and board over that, but remove the wheels as they protrude. make sure the internal wood is good
Plz do not cut the external brick to fit the internal rebate

Many thanks for the reply.

Seeing as you've done a few of these I just wondered if you had ever done one without disturbing the internal woodwork?

I don't plan on blocking it, so hopefully I would like to make as little mess as possible to the architrave. Any tips apart from the obvious of go easy with the wrecking bar! :)

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I would check that the thickness/width of the upvc frame does not make the window seem small or the upvc frame obtrusive. - it depends on the current size of the window obviously, which only you will know. One way of finding out is to measure the overall width of a upvc frame, with opening lights (may be 75mm or more) and cut and tape a piece of lining paper within the box section to be retained to see if this will make the new window an acceptable feature. I know this sounds fussy, but it's better to check now rather than be disappointed when the window is paid for and in-situ.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back