Installing downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two ceiling roses in my lounge and I would like to replace then with six mains voltage downlights. How would I go about doing this? I have access to the roof space and both junction box's. Do I need to have a junction box for each light or can I have one and daisy chain the rest together? What wire should I be using? Do I need to remove roof insulation so that the lights are ventilated if so how much?

Sponsored Links
I have just done a similar thing, I didnt use junction boxes as the current IEE regs are moving away from these in favour of loop in wiring, so I simply chained each light together with nomal 1mm twin and earth (the lights should be double insulated (symbol is two small squares one inside the other) and wont need earthing, if the earth is required to maintain grounding within your lighting circuit (loop in) you will need to block join them together). You haven't stated the wattage of the downlighters but I am assuming they are 50W, the instruction leaflet that came with them should tell you the minimum clearance around the lights that are required, they do get hot, so you will most definitely need to make sure they are clear of any insulation, are not too close to any object below them and there is clearance above them also, if you have no instructions, let me know and I will dig out mine as a guideline.

Alco

Do you have to use special moisture resistant downlights in a bathroom?

Should I start from one of the ceiling roses and work from there or one of the junction box's

Sponsored Links
Am guessing that your lighting circuit is *junction boxed* rather than loop in, personally I would replace the current wire from box to rose with new twin and earth, dropping in to the closest downlighter and chaining them together from there (assuming that your light switch can handle 300W on a single circuit, should be OK unless its a dimmer)

Alco

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back