Installing eaves trays, couple of questions.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
as per the discussion/advice in one of my previous posts I'm going to install eaves trays.

Couple of questions, you'll see in this picture there is a vertical fillet pinning the felt down, I'll need to chop that so I can slide the eaves tray under the felt, will there be any issue with that?

Also, there are redland redvents installed, will these eaves trays block the ventilation too much?

Sponsored Links
You can cut the counter batten to just below the tile batten, lever up the counter with a clawhammer taking care not to cut the felt.

You will lose the venting capacity if you install the new trays over the existing vents.

would it be any worse than the felt having been dressed over it for the last 25 years?

i can't see any sign of damp from the inside so moisture doesnt seem to be a problem.

Sponsored Links
so, pulled up a section of tiles for a good look and trial fitted one of the eaves trays.

these will not fix my problem, due to the vents, the eaves tray does not sit low enough into the gutter so will not stop any moisture from going in over the top of the blockwork.

Additionally, i can see these counter battens have perforated the felt in places, pretty sure this is where the water has got in when the ice has built up so back to my original plan of replacing the felt as well.

i think I'll just make my own trays out of plywood and lap the felt down into the gutter as before.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back