Installing equipotential bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My gas meter is being moved to the other side of the building which means I need a new earth bond. If the new cable is run internally above the floorboards does it need to be in some sort of conduit or would cable clips or ties be suitable?
Am I right in thinking it would need to be a 10mm earth cable (the length will be around 40 metres to the new gas meter)?

Sponsored Links
My apologies. I'm not in Kazakstan - Sussex to be precise.
The installation is domestic not commercial. The total length of the proposed route of the cable is 40 metres. Does this mean that 10mm cable would not be suitable?

personally I would use 16mm over that sort of length, but 10 is all the regs require as far as I know. remember in the old days 4mm or 6mm was considered adequate!

Sponsored Links
aren't the gas suppliers responsible for moving the earthing if they move the meter... or is the customer responsible if they specifically ask for it to be moved?

No the customer is responsible. The gas company will inform the customer that reconnection is required. The crucial thing to worry about is that the resistance of the cable doesn't exceed 0.05 ohms. I think 10mm over 40 metres would exceed 0.05, so 16mm would be required. I don't know so for sure, but I'm sure someone will come up with a calculation for you.

Clips will be fine. Trunking will be fine also.

If I remember rightly 10mm is OK for upto 35ish meters, so 40m will definately need 16mm to get it below 0.05ohms...

If I remember rightly 10mm is OK for upto 35ish meters, so 40m will definately need 16mm to get it below 0.05ohms...

it is actually 25m
35m of 10mm is 0.063
according to my book

16mm cable

30m- 0.034
35m- 0.04
40m- 0.05
45m- 0.05
50m- 0.06

so as 40 -45m are 0.05 that is right on the resistance

10mm cable at 40m is 0.07 so is unsuitable

it's going to be quite expensive then

what sort of property is it, where the gas meter moves so far?

and it is the place where the metallic service enters the house we are talking about? Is the building actually 40m wide? Or is there some kind of external utilities cabin?

he's already said that the meter isn't moving 40m, it's just 40m to route the cable to it... along walls and round corners and such..

still seems a long way

I had a 20m run in a biggish house including going upstairs, under first floor, back downstairs through plumbing duct.

(this was because of solid ground floor and avoiding damaging decoration)

Thanks. Sounds like I need 16mm cable. Does anyone know if conduit has to be used or if cable ties & clips are suitable?

surface clipping is OK. If you want to cover it, IMO mini-trunking is easier (you clip the lid on afterwards) and you can also paint it (non-drip gloss) to blend in. You can also use it outdoors, which may be easier (fastened to the wall of the house, perhaps above eye level)

You should run it in a single continuous length without joints

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back