Installing Hafele flexible LED light without a profile

Sponsored Links
Why do you assume that a metal edge is required?

Sorry, I am not trying to be combative but I don't understand why you think a metal track is required. My only gripe is that the adhesive might not stick to the naked chipboard/mdf.

Is this good practice? Will the strip light last as long if installed like this?
No and probably not.

The metal backing is used to dissipate the heat from the LEDs. Without it they will run at a higher temperature.

Their lifetime likely be reduced when they do not have a suitable 'heatsink' to dissipate their heat if directly sunk into a wood channel.

But they are often used in this manner. And never 100% sure on actual heat dissipation when using a metal channel. So likely okay for the described DIY application. But would not use for without metal for commercial application.

BigCliveDotCom has made serval videos.on them. His first one being here

Sfk

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Why do you assume that a metal edge is required?

Sorry, I am not trying to be combative but I don't understand why you think a metal track is required. My only gripe is that the adhesive might not stick to the naked chipboard/mdf.
No reason other than that this is how I've seen it done so just wanted to check this out with people who know what they're doing. Some here think a profile is needed for heat dissipation some say it's not needed or that it's not clear whether an aluminium profile acts as an effective heatsink. I might call Hafele to ask

The led strip is made of silicon so it squeeses into the 4x10 mm groove. No glue needed.

Last edited:
What's better running a 24V LED strip with 1 24v driver for all 3 shelves or 12V LED strip with 3 drivers 1 for each shelf? Shelf length is 2.4m and I have 3 of them. I have 240V supply next to each shelf.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back